Best Buy Canada - One of the best student jobs! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy Canada

"One of the best student jobs!"

Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Edmonton, AB (Canada)
Current Employee - Computer Specialist in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Best Buy Canada part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing discount; cost + %5, awesome co-workers, laid back environment, good management.
I've had many jobs and this is one of the best, only for students though. You can't make enough money otherwise.

Cons

Uniform, forced to sell psp (extended warranty). It's crazy busy during the Christmas season so be prepard to be working 6-9 hours a day, everyday.. Even if you are part time. I was working 40+ hours a week during Christmas, while attending school.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy Canada

"Can't believe I stayed so long"

I worked at Best Buy Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount on products and services
    Job security
    Ability to voice your opinions and concerns. Strong HR presence in my store
    Fun, all of your co-workers become your best friends
    Making customers day when you engage them in a cool demo and teach them something new

Cons

Poor compensation, not competitive. "experience doesn't pay my rent"
    Poor design of performance review process. Impossible to get a raise but they are very good at manipulating you in thinking you're going to get a raise or promotion
    Management not trained properly (thrown into new role with no prior training)
    Slackers are recognized for half assed work (management strategy to encourage them) while top preformers get spoken to about not selling as much services as they usually do which is why most leave to go to FutureShop where they make significantly more.
    Understaffed due to labour cuts, working in 4 depts alone 5-10 hard to juggle

Advice to Management

Get back to living the company values and fulfill the mission statement of the brand. Company is moving towards "bottom-line centricity" and away from "customer centricity". This company will be swallowed up by Amazon and Apple.

2. "Flexible hours equates to working from home and on the road"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

Pros

In Merchandising, you learn lots about how to run a business, from assortment planning to marketing and promotional planning and merchandise execution. This knowledge is as our President and COO puts it "Retail MBA"

Cons

Very tough budgets, which in turn leads to low employee morale. Job compensation does not relate with effort put in.

Advice to Management

Lower requirements needed for bonus if budget is set to be very tough. Max requirement for bonus was lowered but minimum requirement stayed.