Best Buy - Very positive experience, but relatively chaotic environment. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Very positive experience, but relatively chaotic environment."

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Richfield, MN
Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Richfield, MN

Pros

Flexible time off via the Results Oriented Work Environment (ROWE) program, competent management, exciting products (TV's, Gaming, Movies, Music, etc...), good compensation & benefits

Cons

Chaotic atmosphere doesn't work for everyone. Changing demands and timelines can be frustrating.

Advice to Management

I think many areas would benefit from better training and development, i.e. a Merchant Development program that would allow for transitions between Finance and the Merchant organization

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Not amazing but not dreadful either."

Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Computer Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

-Decent pay for entry-level electronic sales without prior experience.
    -Management seemed competent and fairly active in-store.
    -Many of my fellow coworkers were friendly and approachable
    -Not as much selling pressure as you might expect
    -Praise is given when needed to motivate employees who are working hard; get the feeling that upward mobility may be better than in other retail environments
    -Since the computer section is one of the most profitable areas for the store (if not THE most profitable), the section is given a lot of attention and support from upper-level types: good opportunities for associates in this area to be noticed and possibly rewarded
    -Good reputation in the retail world--lots of people want to work for Best Buy
    -Fairly good job for college students or as a first retail job

Cons

-Very few hours for part-timers--get another job if you expect to pay your rent.
    -Sales floor was never very organized--took forever to find out where the keys where for the cages when you were trying to close a sale.
    -Can get stressful when it's busy and understaffed
    -Closing-shift employees usually end up staying an hour or more after closing time
    -There will be coworkers who don't seem to do as much but have more hours or whatever. Just focus on what you're doing and learn from the coworkers who are pulling their weight.
    -Useless Saturday meetings every month early in the morning for every employee, even stocking.
    -Online scheduling site can't be accessed outside of store, so you might have to come in-store just to find out when you're working next
    -Personally, would have liked more "tasks;" one coworker found it odd that I wanted to organize the mouse shelf so customers could actually find what they wanted. This is truly a sales position, so if you don't like talking to people and helping them find what they need you will hate this job.

Advice to Management

Management did pretty well from what I could tell, but I was also in an optimal area in the store (computers). I do remember cashiers complaining more about the work environment--they get paid less, don't move around much, have to push the BB credit card thing, etc. Maybe give other employees besides computers and TV associates more incentives...

Even if you plan on getting rid of them, teach the seasonals how to operate the cash register--this will really expedite things during busy rushes, which is why they were hired in the first place: to expedite things.

And try to give part-timers actual hours so they might be able to pay their rent. The pay rate is there--the hours are not.

2. "Working for Best Buy was a great opportunity to advance quickly with good pay in a increasingly poor economy."

Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Douglasville, GA
    Former Employee - Merchandising Specialist in Douglasville, GA

Pros

At Best Buy you are able to advance quickly with determination and hard work. The company provides great positions to make great pay with no school degree. They also provide tuition help for those that want to study for business degree, which helps with more advancement and higher pay raise. The company's system for sales was good with some issues, but whats great is that they always want feed back on your ideas and strategies that would work best to make your job easier and work according to.

Cons

The only problem is what we all go through any where we work, the co-workers. I met great managers and co-workers which lead to great leadership. As well as those that simply did not care for their job. I believe as long as you avoid getting caught up in the drama and stay focused on what you need to be doing, everything will work out just fine. Communication was also a problem amongst management which could avoid many mistakes and productivity increase.

Advice to Management

I believe communication is key to running a business smoothly. Communication at the Best Buy i worked at was sometimes a problem that lead to many mistakes that could have been avoided. Where responsibility for those problems should have been discussed, never was, therefore it was bound to happen again. Productivity from management could also be way better in this business. I learned that working as a positive productive assistant/manager sets a great example for those learning to become productive and hard workers. I also believe that many co-workers take this business a lot serious then some job they just show up for a paycheck.