Best Buy - Blue shirt blues | Glassdoor

"Blue shirt blues"

Former Employee - Senior in Minneapolis, MN
Former Employee - Senior in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Employee Discount. Other than that, there's not much to write home about.

Cons

No regularity or schedule consistency. Be prepared to sacrifice nights, weekends, holidays. (as with any retail job). Career Growth and advancement depends heavily on present store management. My advice is to discuss your career with store leadership and evaluate the feedback you receive. If they are receptive, encouraging and supportive, then I strongly suggest you pursue those ambitions as opportunities do exist for those with desire & have a welcoming store leadership. If your career plans are not well received, do not waste your time. Being an hourly employee, you are very disposable and can be easily replaced.

Advice to Management

If you truly want productive and strong store leadership, provide them with better training and ongoing education. There is also a severe gap for field employees who wish to advance their careers with this company. Employee retention should be top priority and field experience should be highly valued at the corporate level.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

"Bad Best Buy"

Current Employee - Operations Senior in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Senior in San Jose, CA

Pros

One of the best reasons to work there is the benefits. The employee discount is pretty good, but only on specific items, the health package is great, the main thing for me is the Tuition Assistance program that Best Buy offers to their full-time employees; they pay for all of my schooling just as long as I have been an active full time employee for 6 months. The pay is also good, that is if you get the right position. The employee accommodation's that vendors offer is also a good thing, but you need to be on the look out for good deals all the time.

Cons

The management. I have worked at three different Best Buys and the management is the same everywhere. They don't care about the growth of their people, all they care about is profit growth and how it will help them, not you. They are unfair in promotions and only like to give it out to friends or people they have previously worked with regardless of the experience. It seems like Best Buy, at least in my area, is all about who you know and not what you know. Leadership also puts A LOT of pressure on the sales floor to sell so they can get their bonuses.

Advice to Management

Please train your management to listen to EVERYONE and empower their people and not their wallets.

2. "best buy is not the best place to work for"

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

employee discount. 401k match and employee stock purchase plan

Cons

schedule. you don't get your schedule like a day befor the week starts

Advice to Management

stop making up new sop every day... we can't keep up with it