Best Buy - supporting shareholders is only as good as supporting employees | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"supporting shareholders is only as good as supporting employees"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elizabeth, NJ
Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Elizabeth, NJ

Pros

it's not just retail anymore!!!! we also are a major competitor in the services related industry. so yes it is a viable career for the technical saavy. the only downside to this is the compensatory rates as compared to other similar professional fields and the locations as compared to demographic and cost of living for services related positions are way undercut. there are individuals making just over 50k that in other companies with the same type of responsibility and amount of work they do could easliy clear 80k with the same type of benefits and packages. the staff and upper management is very competant. however the store management needs to better train their supervisors in an effort to better serve our clients and serve our shareholders. in this economy we cant afford not to.

Cons

compensation has very LARGE GAPS. the cost of living is way out of wack as compared to the salary offering. this i would say is hurting it's own employees good and bad. across the boards the company as a whole needs to re-visit the salary structure. and offer better pay to those especially in larger more "expensive" in terms of cost of living areas. specifically housing etc...

Advice to Management

first let me say i have been with the company for a very long time, and i have had some bad experiences. i still firmly believe that in the end this is the right career choice for me. i would tell them to re-visit the structure of services and the compensation for leadership within services. as well as store assistant managers. those working in large metro areas. have a much higher cost of living than you might expect. in today's economy across the board your hard working leadership is genuinely suffering. also the training for store Home theater supervisors needs to be more frequent. especially with hands on training for services. they could really benefit from some sort of training. also i keep hearing the word RE-ORG? why at this point in the game with so much investment? time and time again has corporate done this and every single time you just end up going back to where you were? i would emplore you to revisit this decision if this is the case. take better care of your employees as you continue to it's really looking like night and day compared to how things were run 5 years ago. so good work with that. one thing i would tell you that has changed for the better. the new DFM program is coming along nicely. however the dispatch company is not that great. DFM's are a mojr support vein for services. we can't do this without them.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

"A Mostly Satisfied Review With Some Specific Negative Comments"

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Richfield, MN

Pros

There is so much opportunity to move up within the company. I think that the people that work within Best Buy are very nice and supportive. I also think that the company makes it worth your while to work for the company, they give you so many benefits for working there.

Cons

I think one of the downsides with working for Best Buy is that some of the managers don't know how hard the job is some times. They make such hard goals for the area in which I work, even though I'm working hard every day.

Advice to Management

I think that they should put themselves in our shoes. They should be doing some of the things that they are asking us to do.

2. "Not that bad"

Current Employee - DCI, Geek Squad City in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - DCI, Geek Squad City in Louisville, KY

Pros

Large, growing company that pays attention to its competitiona nd activly trys to change before it is required just to survive. Company has new opportunities and a good overall culture.

Cons

Some areas are highly insular, secretive. At times, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing, and at times, that a right hand even exists. Best Buy is trying and seems to be making headway, but these areas need to be priority.

Advice to Management

Better communication is a priority. Better benifits are a priority. Spread teh wealth, don't just focus on Corporate, use technology to open up the trainings, meetings and events up to the whole company. In fact, open some of the senior VP level meetings up to viewing over the web.