Best Buy - Best Buy pros and cons | Glassdoor

"Best Buy pros and cons"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Owasso, OK
Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Owasso, OK

Pros

The benefits are good. Career opps are not too bad.

Cons

The managment alot of times is very pushing and says we are not on commision yet as a customer assistant gives us a goal to hit and then we get in trouble if we dont hit it but no one says a word it we do. Supervisors are very pushy and not fair with pay at all. Managment talks about other employees on personal levels.

Advice to Management

Treat your employess fairly. If you say we are not on commision then please dont make us feel like we are. I've tons of employees saying they are ready to quit and I have to talk them out of it. Stop pushing us so hard and stressing us out. Focus more on training and actually following job description with title.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

"As With all things there are Pitfalls"

Current Employee - Anonymous Manager in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Manager in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Salary tops all others inthe field, benefits, and comraderie of employees. The motto is to have fun whilebeing the best and at times this can be a very fun job.

Cons

Favoritism in advancement, problems with upper management "doing 1 thing and saying another." Upper management is not a real presence inthe stores, many deals for promotions happen in a social environment. Recently there has been a huge influx of hiring outsiders rather than promoting from within - somehting that Best buy has always prided itself on. This is a good , stable company but it seems to have taken a wrong turn at the present time.

Advice to Management

The promotion should not be abused through favoritism. Feedback should be timely and informative. Upper Management should be a presence in all stores not simply a chosen few. .

"Awesome job if it weren't for management"

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I work on the geek squad, and the starting pay is pretty good, quite a bit above minimum wage. That is, however, the only plus to this position.

Cons

Best buy is a corporate monster, it does not care about electronics, and it definitely doesn't care about computers. If you're some one who's passionate about computer repair, this is probably not the place for you. They take the excitement out of repair and make it a mindless task a ten-year-old could do. Everything is automated, and if it takes more brain power than an assembly line robot would need, we're told to ship it out, or restore it. This all leads to your supervisor most likely being some one with a high school degree, who doesn't know any more about computers than your grandma.

Advice to Management

Try to learn about the products your subordinates are selling. If you're a manager at geek squad, you may think that your job is only promoting sales, but no one will respect you if you don't try to learn their trade, and you won't be able to be fully in control if you don't even completely know what's going on.