Best Buy - Great environment, management needs to do more | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Great environment, management needs to do more"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Supervisor in Chicago, IL

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, discounts, experience, networking

Cons

Work/life balance, employee lack of knowledge,

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Started out as a great company, but after 5 years it got really ugly!"

Former Employee - Asset Protection/Inventory/Home Theater in Mira Loma, CA
    Former Employee - Asset Protection/Inventory/Home Theater in Mira Loma, CA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Discount/ Benefits (till they completely destroyed them!) getting to play with new technology when it first comes out.

Cons

They lie to you quite a bit at this company. They like to act as if they care about the customer and their employees but the simple fact is you are last in the tier of company cares. (Profit>Management>Customer>Employee).
       They never give you proper training and, when ever they say they are going to it is never executed well. 90% of their sales workforce has no idea about the products they are selling past the price card in front of them. This is due to the fact that hey only train how to sell services warranties and credit cards, all product knowledge is left to the sales person to learn on his/her own. When ever there is some sort of "Sales" training, it is usually just regurgitation of old sales techniques spun in 10 different ways ( Care, Care+, Trust, customer eccentricity, sale excellence).
        Sadly the people who have been with the company longest and have actual product knowledge are slowly leaving or being forced out because of pay caps and labor crunching. Managers don't care if you get customer complements for being nice and well informed (in fact I have seen them mock an employee for not offering services to his customer right after the customer came to the manager and complemented them) they want cookie cutter sales where every point has been scored despite the customers needs.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your customers needs and your retail employees development. Stop laying off low level employees to give bonus's to Corporate CEO's just to keep them from leaving the same jobs they are failing at. Stop blaming Amazon.com as well. I see more customers leave everyday because they were not helped, than I do because they are "show-rooming"

2. "Great start with an unfortunate ending"

Former Employee - Computer Specialist in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Computer Specialist in Rochester, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Lively Work environment. Awesome product knowledge with excellent technicians (Geeksquad) Right on Hand.

Cons

High pressure sales for non-commissioned job. Management was very pushy about their numbers. Annual reviews were poorly conducted. Annual raise was very minimal ($.30). New hires were getting paid more than me (I started out making $8.50, annual raise put me to 8.80, new hires were making $9.00 and management wouldn't raise my pay so I left the company.