Best Buy - Fun! Best Buy has been a great experience with a great company. It has helped me grown alot | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Fun! Best Buy has been a great experience with a great company. It has helped me grown alot"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Coeur d'Alene, ID
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Coeur d'Alene, ID

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People, sales and business experience, discounts

Cons

lower pay grade, inconsistant schedule

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Fun but tiring"

Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Cashier in San Diego, CA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers and senior management are good people
    Friendly workplace culture
    If you put in the work, you will be recognized for it

Cons

If the team you are working with is slacking, you might have to pick it up for them
    Black Friday is crazy

2. "Good at first"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Williston, VT
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Williston, VT

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you enjoy working with and talking about electronics then this is a great place to work. The employee discount is a nice bonus as is the employee bonus, which is available and differs depending on which department you work in within the store.

Cons

As pleasant and friendly as some management staff are, they're never fully willing to be open and honest and appear to avoid conflict any chance they're given. Rather than inform employees of their mistakes, many managers will most likely keep their thoughts to themselves and allow you to continue to do things the wrong way while patting you on the back and telling you "good job." Terrible leadership! This was never just my opinion, but more than a few employees who like me decided to leave for this reason among others.

Add to this the fact that you can be let go at any point for whatever reason (stated in your contract) makes working for a company like this very frustrating. I understand this may not be the case at every store or may not remain true, but if it still remains the truth then my advice is to always know where you stand and demand the truth when you are unsure of anything.

It's retail, so bring all the negative expectations you might have with you (favoritism, etc) - don't leave them at the door because they'll follow you and they will find you. It's just nice to know what you could be getting yourself into; some employees appear to get on just fine.

Advice to Management

Be open and honest with employees. Inform employees if they are doing their job incorrectly rather than pretending everything is OK. It became a common saying among employees at the store where I worked, "you don't know you've done something wrong until it's too late," and of course it makes no sense on any level to keep an employee in the dark. I don't know if it is done to avoid conflict or it's just pure laziness, but it's not helpful to the individuals involved or the store for that matter.