Best Buy - Not the Best | Glassdoor

"Not the Best"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Simple job very straight foward.

Cons

Too heavy a focus on Sales. Not the customer centered sale culture they put forward. They use sale floor personnel to staff Geek Squad with techs. These people have no tech experience at all, and therefore hinder the ability to pure real techs to preform their jobs propperly.

Advice to Management

Hire real PC techs and do not staff Geek Squad with pure sales staff with no experience. This puts a foul stain on the image that you want to present to the customer as a one stop worry free service department.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

"It seems they forget that they have humans working for them and not machines."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Seattle, WA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount, especially on Best Buy's own brands of products, used to be great. Unfortunately they decided they wanted to make more off of their employees and changed the policy.

Cons

Where do I even start? Because they have been losing money every quarter for the last few years, they are in panic mode. Panic mode leads corporate to an ever-changing string of sales strategies and new services in an effort to stop the downward spiral. The pressure on the sales associates has really ramped up over the past few years. It used to be about helping customers find the right products for their needs, but now it is all just about selling as many products and services to each poor sap that comes through the door with complete disregard for their needs. Right before I left they had actually moved to a policy where we had to input our employee numbers at the register for individual items so they could track individual sales.

Advice to Management

When, as a GM, you ask an employee how it's going, and they reply "I'm great, and how are you doing?" the proper response is not "No. I mean how are you doing - numbers-wise? How many credit applications have you run and how many dollars of black tie have you sold?" WE ARE PEOPLE!!!

2. "Work more pay less"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Culver City, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Culver City, CA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good employee discount, Great Geek Squad team!

Cons

Pay is too low, they promote dumb associates and management can't deal with issues with customers them self (they have associates fix and they take credit)

Advice to Management

Pay your associates more money.