Best Buy - Customer Service Rep | Glassdoor

"Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun crowd of people, easy and not to stressful of a job. This isn't a career type job so it's pretty laid back

Cons

This isn't a career type job, meaning there isn't much room for growth. People aren't expected to be "experts" in there area of sales so often times you can't get any real help when helping a costumer. Management is comprised of young adults that are more into "doing them" than coaching you.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Good job, bad career"

Former Employee - Computer/Tablet Sales Specialist in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Computer/Tablet Sales Specialist in Mankato, MN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the people at Best Buy. My colleagues were for the most part, incredible to work with. The management was generally supportive, and I respected most of them as leaders. Bringing back the old discount is a great idea, even though I left for full time employment in a more corporate environment, the discount was almost enough to keep me around on the weekends.

Cons

There are a few things I have an issue with when it comes to Best Buy. I know everyone wants more pay, and that's something hard for Best Buy to do. For them to tell me the best they could do for an officer in the army, and a college graduate is part time at $8.50/hr...well that's a slap in the face. In fact, Best Buy places little to no value on education. My education helped me be successful, my sales numbers were really high, however in my four month stint with them, I was given no extra responsibility or chance to prove my self as a potential leader. It seams to me that Best Buy follows a pretty structured mode of promotion. Do your time, and you'll be given a chance to be a supervisor...do your time as a supervisor, and you could be a manager some day. That works well for kinds who started at Best Buy when they were 15-16. By the time an individual graduates from college, they have put in enough time to be successful. However being a 22 year old college graduate, it is much more limiting when you would need to wait until you're 27 to start seeing some success. Also, Best Buy's customer service focus is "providing customers with a world class experience." From my exposure to Best Buy, the customer is just a number. The more sales we can solicit them the better off we are. When a manager would hand off an interaction to me, they would say "I've got a big one for you here...". If you want to win the hearts and minds, you must shift your focus from making money, to winning customer support.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer. I understand it's a business, but with the state Best Buy is in...something has to change, and not just on paper. I understand treating all employees fairly is fine and dandy...but if you want to retain college graduates who are a positive attribute to your sales team...you have to give them some incentive to decide to stay with Best Buy.

2. "It was a fun job, i got to meet a of of different people and had opportunity to grow"

Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Lanesboro, MA
    Former Employee - Sales Supervisor in Lanesboro, MA

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Always something to do, I got to manage a lot of different people. Great discount, then they did away with it, but then brought it back. Product and supplier accommodations. Got to travel (CT, NY, AZ, MO).

Cons

Sometimes the expectations are unrealistic or unobtainable. Not enough time given to properly analyze and plans put into place. As a supervisor it is tough to obtain 39 different goals.

Advice to Management

Please execute on your action plans, be upfront to your employees. You will get more respect than trying to sugarcoat things.