Best Buy - Customer Service Rep | Glassdoor

"Customer Service Rep"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun crowd of people, easy and not to stressful of a job. This isn't a career type job so it's pretty laid back

Cons

This isn't a career type job, meaning there isn't much room for growth. People aren't expected to be "experts" in there area of sales so often times you can't get any real help when helping a costumer. Management is comprised of young adults that are more into "doing them" than coaching you.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Good job, bad career"

Former Employee - Computer/Tablet Sales Specialist in Mankato, MN
    Former Employee - Computer/Tablet Sales Specialist in Mankato, MN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I loved the people at Best Buy. My colleagues were for the most part, incredible to work with. The management was generally supportive, and I respected most of them as leaders. Bringing back the old discount is a great idea, even though I left for full time employment in a more corporate environment, the discount was almost enough to keep me around on the weekends.

Cons

There are a few things I have an issue with when it comes to Best Buy. I know everyone wants more pay, and that's something hard for Best Buy to do. For them to tell me the best they could do for an officer in the army, and a college graduate is part time at $8.50/hr...well that's a slap in the face. In fact, Best Buy places little to no value on education. My education helped me be successful, my sales numbers were really high, however in my four month stint with them, I was given no extra responsibility or chance to prove my self as a potential leader. It seams to me that Best Buy follows a pretty structured mode of promotion. Do your time, and you'll be given a chance to be a supervisor...do your time as a supervisor, and you could be a manager some day. That works well for kinds who started at Best Buy when they were 15-16. By the time an individual graduates from college, they have put in enough time to be successful. However being a 22 year old college graduate, it is much more limiting when you would need to wait until you're 27 to start seeing some success. Also, Best Buy's customer service focus is "providing customers with a world class experience." From my exposure to Best Buy, the customer is just a number. The more sales we can solicit them the better off we are. When a manager would hand off an interaction to me, they would say "I've got a big one for you here...". If you want to win the hearts and minds, you must shift your focus from making money, to winning customer support.

Advice to Management

Focus on the customer. I understand it's a business, but with the state Best Buy is in...something has to change, and not just on paper. I understand treating all employees fairly is fine and dandy...but if you want to retain college graduates who are a positive attribute to your sales team...you have to give them some incentive to decide to stay with Best Buy.

2. "Lots of work for little pay"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance,pretty good insurance, Tuition reimbursement, 401k match, STI and LTI bonus programs. Good team work atmosphere .

Cons

Low Hourly pay , not so great training, Lots of work has been dumped on the sales team due to a company restructure Sales now does merchandising,ad set,stock counts,unloads the truck, We use to have a merch team that did that but they have been reduced to carrying out TV's and taking in UPS shippments,

Advice to Management

Set realistic goals, Dont play favorites, dont micro manage, and pay your full time folks a liveable wage , Also put into place some sort of development program so that people like myself who have stuck by the company through the hard times and did all that was asked have a set program that will develop them into leadership roles when they roles open so that they can atleast interview for it.