Best Buy - Good First Job. | Glassdoor

"Good First Job."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brick, NJ
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Brick, NJ

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Works Good will Hours especially for college/high school students.

Cons

Long hours during holiday season. Crazy quotas to be met.

Advice to Management

N/A

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "What you basically would expect as a cashier at a big retail store"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Colma, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative I in Colma, CA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, interesting, and varied set of colleagues that provided for an entertaining backdrop to an otherwise mediocre to average retail job. Supervisors were unexpectedly friendly, easygoing, and encouraging.

Cons

In general, this same set of young colleagues are understandably unfocused, uncommitted, and detached when it comes to company and store goals and outlook. These folks are, for the most part, in customer service purgatory as they finish college and/or find and move on to something better. This attitude resonates throughout the store and negatively affects workplace morale. Of course, all this can probably be said for most, if not all, big box retail jobs.

Moreover, there is also unyielding pressure to have customers sign up for store-branded credit cards or purchase "Black Tie" warranties with little to no incentive for the employee, making coming into work everyday a dreadful experience.

2. "Took the threat of leaving for advancement"

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Memphis, TN

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a very proactive and adaptable company. Many opportunities to give back in the community as well. The entire team was very close-knit and socialized well outside of work. The culture within the big blue box was typical of a well to do, enthusiastic retail team.

Cons

The particular store I worked at was not very diverse or well off in advancement opportunities. I was personally passed over so that senior management could diversify the department even though the candidates were not well qualified, which was unfortunate for everyone involved in the end.

Advice to Management

Being more personal with advancement and improvement is a plus. I felt very lumped with my peers when I was above average.