Best Buy - Great job.... until it sucks your soul out and tramples it. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Great job.... until it sucks your soul out and tramples it."

Current Employee - Product Process Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO
Current Employee - Product Process Supervisor in Saint Louis, MO

Pros

Best Buy as a company is very willing to support you and help you grow as an employee. There are several different types of advancement opportunities and learning options. As long as you are performing well, they will take care of you and help you to advance. The employee discount is amazing and there are even ways to get things cheaper than what an employee could normally get (accommodations program) and that Best Buy doesn't sell. The benefit package is very competitive and the 401(k) matching is above average. The management staff truly tries to make Best Buy a fun place while still running it as a business.

Cons

Best Buy leadership can be very fickle. A lot of times I feel like my talents and additions I bring to the store are taken for granted. I have lead a department hands down better than the any other store in company and still gotten micromanaged and documented for minor issues. Yes, they should have been done according the Stand Operation Platform, but we are all human. If I am outperforming every store, do I need a write up because a sign was the wrong color? And when I take initiative to improve the customer shopping experience, when did that become wasting time.

Advice to Management

You need to stop being so fickle towards employees. The best employees and the worst employees are often one in the same depending on what day it is and how you feel like acting. You are worse than most of the employees as far as behaviors go, so don't hold people accountable to standards you don't hold yourself to. If a manager spends time reading a magazine or talking about sports, or just hanging out, don't get upset at an employee for doing the same thing. If an employee gives 110%, but can't meet unrealistic standards, is it really their fault.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

"Great Work Life Balance"

Former Employee - Senior Demand Planning Analyst in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Senior Demand Planning Analyst in Richfield, MN

Pros

ROWE! Not sure if it is still being used but when I was there they were using a Results Oriented Work Environment. It didn't matter when you were at work as long as the yob tou were hired to perform was getting done. If it takes me 6 hours to do my job and you take 8, why should I have to sit in my chair 2 hours longer. You can also get your work done at home and not even have to come in every day which was great because the commute to Richfield can be a nightmare.

Cons

Too many meetings, not enough "desk time" to do the work that needed to get done. Many days I would have a total of 60-90 minutes at my desk all day. The rest of the time I was at a meeting for one committee or another. VERY young workforce in some areas made it difficult to be the one that had to go home for a sick child.

Advice to Management

Too many meetings and not enough time to get the core work done.

2. "Best Buy is okay job to have, however not a permanent job..."

Current Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

The best reasons to work at a place like Best Buy, is that the compensation is okay in the sense that you'll make more that minimum wage and the job is not too difficult. You don't need too much experience to get a job there and training is pretty easy plus you're paid more than minimum wage.

Cons

There tends to be issues with management and lack off communication. There is a lot of corporate talk and everyone doesn't really discuss wages because everyone gets paid a different amount. So if you are lucky try and negotiate don't be afraid to ask for more.

Advice to Management

Please work on COMMUNICATION and informing me.