Best Buy - The work was what I expected, management was not. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"The work was what I expected, management was not."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portage, MI
Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Portage, MI

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

When a customer comes in looking for the product or service that management wants to be selling then life is a breeze. Giving a customer exactly what they ask for and not having to shove BS down their throats is satisfying, but it's rare to get a that type of transaction.

There's a competitive nature to selling product that makes work a bit interesting.

Cons

They only care about numbers. At the end of the day you could develop life long customers, but if you didn't talk them into a best buy credit card or a service plan then you get zero credit.

There is so much pressure to sell service plans, you'll get constant reminders that they're looking to see specific sales from you. Doing business this way is so off putting to customers and at the end of the day it basically comes down to who is the best at tricking customers to getting more than they need.

As a Sales associate who's on seasonal and wants to make full-time, good luck. They'll tell you that you're being considered to stay on, but actual full-time positions are very rare to get and are hardly ever available. Staying on means an awful schedule ranging from weeks with 7 five hour shifts to weeks where you're not on the schedule. Keep an eye on the schedule, they like to put you on times that you identify as unavailable.

Also the learning lounge training is a joke and the training for seasonal workers is practically non-existent.

Advice to Management

This specific store has a bad reputation comparatively to other locations, perhaps this isn't the story at every Best Buy.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "MCSA"

Current Employee - MCSA in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - MCSA in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love the job, everybody is nice which is a change.

Cons

No cons as of yet except maybe the pay... it's retail though what do you expect

Advice to Management

no advice

2. "Great place to work, if your management staff is decent at their job."

Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Midland, MI
    Current Employee - Wireless Sales Consultant in Midland, MI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very fast paced work environment, definitely a sales position and don't fool yourself for a second if you think you won't be selling. Great place to work for students, as they offer competitive tuition reimbursement.

Cons

As the company declines financially they are applying more pressure on their sales people to sell more items to customers rather than focus on decent customer service. I have had many customers tell me off the bat they would like to not be offered any type of warranty service and yet by not offering I could lose my job.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, hiring external candidates does not give the talent within your store a chance to become something more. Also focus less on shoveling things down peoples throats and more on making Best Buy a leaner company. What I mean by this is reduce overhead and focus on the products that are profitable as apposed to trying to make all of your margin on warranties, services, and over priced accessories.