Best Buy - Couldn't ask for more | Glassdoor

"Couldn't ask for more"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mohegan Lake, NY
Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Mohegan Lake, NY

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment if you are working with the right people. Some customers could be a pain in the butt sometimes but for the most part I enjoy helping people out. It's not so much the job itself that keeps me coming in to work every day, its the family that is created with the other employees, even leadership.

Cons

If you are in a department with a lot of conflicting personalities, working with them could be difficult. Sometimes customers are just too much of a pain to deal with, and some create such big problems we just want to tell them to leave, but we cannot.

Advice to Management

Make sure everyone is doing their job, and doing it correctly. Checks and balances need to be in place.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "An alright place to work for a high school or college kid"

Former Employee - MCSA in South Setauket, NY
    Former Employee - MCSA in South Setauket, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

All of the pros and cons are really dependent on what store you work at. Even stores in the same district can vary wildly - the store I worked at for 8 years was awesome for about 4-5 of those years. The other times it sucked because of senior management. The GM and senior management's styles and personality really make a difference in the atmosphere and culture of the store. With all that said, here are some pros:

- The people are great (at times - depends on where you are).
    - You learn a lot about customer service, as well as about electronics (depending on which department, how knowledgeable your co workers/bosses are, etc)
    - Somewhat flexible hours (depending on boss)
    - Decent benefits if you work full time
    - Decent discount

Cons

With the same caveats as above (many of these depend on your circumstances, i.e.: what state you're in, what your managers are like, etc), here are some of the cons:

- Working Holidays (Black Friday, Christmas Eve, etc) can suck.
    - The pay really sucks, but I suppose it's alright if you're in high school or college... but they barely give you raises even if you do well - after starting at $9 an hour, I moved up to making $11.50 or so after 8 years. Sometimes they give you a quarter raise a year, others they give you 15 cents. At Geek Squad or in Magnolia Home Theater the pay is a lot better - $13-$17 an hour.
    - The bosses that work their can really suck sometimes
    - Forced to upsell at times, forced to push service plans and replacement plans onto customers to make numbers/goals
    - Forced to push overpriced accessories and cables that you can buy at Monoprice.com or Amazon for way cheaper.

Advice to Management

I don't foresee Best Buy lasting the decade if it keeps up with its current business model. They are quickly becoming just a show room for Amazon.com, as more and more consumers become educated and knowledgeable. As more and more Baby Boomers and non-technologically savvy people start to learn (or die off), the amount of people that will be fooled into buying their accessories (their only profit maker besides subscription services, Geek Squad services, and service plans) will diminish, and Best Buy may go with them.

"Director"

Former Employee - Director in Richfield, MN
    Former Employee - Director in Richfield, MN

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fortune 100 Company with potential upside

Cons

Stuck in the past need to become creative