Best Buy - This job is what you make of it. Your development and success is ultimately up to you. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"This job is what you make of it. Your development and success is ultimately up to you."

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY
Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in New York, NY

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

people, the business acumen you learn, p&l training, training

Cons

work life balance, holiday hours,

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Highly misguiding, completely unsupervised exerperience from day one."

Pros

Good commission tiers if you know how to sell, mostly cool coworkers.

Cons

There was zero guidance or training done by the manager of the department. Schedules always got switched around, I would be scrutinized for asking for help or questions most times, and there was no efficient system to the work place whatsoever, from selling to training to supervisory.

Advice to Management

Hire better department managers, instead of just grabbing someone you sat next to on a plane ride.

2. "You learn a lot, it equips you for the future, but it's stressful."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount is often better than even Amazon prices.
    If you absorb the knowledge right, you learn a lot about business practice and retail.
    Best Buy is all over the map and they have been very supportive of moving me where I want to go. I've been in Indiana, North Carolina and currently Florida. I have 2 of my best friends who have done similar routes and are currently working at other stores in the same district as me.
    Lots of career opportunities to pursue.

Cons

Very political when you start to get into leadership semantics.
    High stress, low pay.
    For a sales associate, pay cap is TECHNICALLY 11.49. Which means unless you get into a supervisor position, or switch to Geek Squad, possibly Warehouse, you probably won't get paid over that. However, the pay grade is technically also capable of being overriden under special circumstances.
    You have to be disciplined, and patient. Management always finds something for you to do better at. If it's not one thing, it's another. It is what it is though, there's only so much time in the day and managers will approach how to better the team differently.
    It's not a commission job, but based on the micromanagement, you'd never notice the difference.

Advice to Management

Be consistent with what you expect out of your team.
    Be transparent with your associates to gain their trust. Show conviction. You've been where we are, relate.
    Teach behavior, then connect metrics. You can't criticize a team for only getting x amount of credit applications in a day if you don't tell them what behavior they need to exemplify in order to reach that goal. And they won't do it unless they understand the value of what it does.