Best Buy - Great management, but can be tough at times. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Great management, but can be tough at times."

Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Norman, OK
Former Employee - Sales Consultant in Norman, OK

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is full of enthusiasm and truly care about their employees, inside and outside of work. Pay was very competitive with out jobs that hired college students, especially the new bonus system that was put into place. Also, the discounts save you a lot of money.

If you love technology and learning about new technology, then Best Buy is the place for you. They have an amazing training system in place for teaching their employees. All training is done on time so employees are knowledgeable about new products.

Cons

If you're a college student, hours might be very tough. At times, it's very hard to get reduced hours when needed. At times, I worked 30+ hour weeks, even after requesting time off or my hours to be reduced. Also, even though it's not a reflection of the store, it may be tough to get enough hours at certain times of the year. After the Christmas season is over, I was only schedule 6 or less hours a week because of slow traffic due to the time of year. It was extremely hard to get a regular balanced scheduled. My schedule changed almost every single week.

The management of the store I worked at was great a majority of the time that I spent at Best Buy. But, that changed near the end of my job period there. New hires in management started to give extreme negative feedback about sales. Whereas before, it was balanced between management making sure you enjoyed your job and the importance of sales.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Best Buy takes care of their employees"

Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Tupelo, MS
    Former Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Tupelo, MS

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Money is good, company cares, bonuses, effective training, overall positive work environment, company contributes to the community.

Cons

Stressful on some days with customers and employees. Also, POS systems need to be updated.

Advice to Management

Do not "micro manage" employees. Let them have some sort of feeling of independence.

2. "If you like a lot of change and virtually very little or no planning than Best Buy may be for you!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richfield, MN

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Not much these days since eliminating the Results Oriented Work Environment (ROWE) and budgets are so tight but still expected to deliver more.

Cons

A lot of last minute changes, priorities are still not clear, heavily merchant driven organization,

Advice to Management

There's still a lot of fluffy projects getting funding that aren't going to produce results even though we're supposed to be all focused on the same goals.