Best Buy - Best Tech Place To Work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Best Tech Place To Work"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

good pay, the best training in the business. and a real showing from upper management that they want you to grow to their position some day

Cons

not enough best buys, they aren't close enough to where i moved to work for them anymore

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "The pros make it worth it.. at first, then the cons take over"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Discounts! Whatever Best Buy bought the item for, you pay only 5% more
    - Accommodations. Completing eLearnings is likely to earn you prizes and/or recognition in the store
    - You get a first hand look at the latest technology, even before its released
    - Its fun, usually

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. First of all, there is no minimum pay grade besides minimum wage. Whatever 50 cents higher than your last job was is what you're going to get. There's people selling video games in my store with 3 months of Dunkin Donuts under there belt being paid a full DOLLAR more than I am, and I've been with the company for over a year! I confronted my manager about how ludicrous that is, and all he had to say is that it's "because they're seasonal". It shouldn't matter, if they perform well they get hired as permanent employees and still keep the same wage. Not only that, unlike every other company on planet Earth, Best Buy uses your performance against you in order to determine your "raise", which in my case, was 0. My supervisor implied that my raise was coming up, and that he was going to speak to his (and my) manager as to when that might be. Some time passed and I checked ePayroll (the online HR site for pay) and noticed that my pay had "changed", but not by any numerical increments. I questioned my manager, who then revealed that devoting a year of your life does not warrant a pay raise, instead performance does. I was never made aware of this, and it was a slap in the face as I had a child on the way. I shed tears in front of my manager, who simply asked me if I needed a minute, and never revisited the subject with me.

That's just the beginning. Best Buy goes through manager like they're taking a laxative, and often times you can see the brown on every manager's nose. Realistically, very few managers every worked as a sales associate, but they'll never hesitate to micromanage your sales, even without any direct experience themselves. Things like "Did you use the CEW?", and "Are you offering a Best Buy Credit Card with every sale?" are common bits you'll hear out of a pompous as..--excuse me, "manager". On rarer, yet still quite common occasions, the store manager will come over with a sheet of paper and start spewing numbers at you, like how well the district is doing and the percent of Geek Squad attach rates for the day. Things you don't actually give a hot s**t about when you're being paid a buck over minimum wage and he's making $120,000 a year. Not to mention the times they ask you to come at hours should warrant time-and-a-half, such as the famous "ad-set" shifts that consist of working from 5 in the morning to 3 in the afternoon. Or the 9 to 6 in the morning overnights. As you vacuum packing peanuts off the floor your manager can be seen strolling through the front door at 11 am, coffee in hand, and then immediately proceed to lecture you about what needs to be done today. Then he'll proceed in to the back office where he'll hibernate for about 3 hours, only to, you guessed it, come out and lecture you about how to sell and where district is at. Do yourself a favor, if you MUST work for Best Buy, work over the holidays, buy as much as you can on discount, and then GET OUT.

Advice to Management

Stop taking your sales associates for granted by shoving your numbers down their throats and lecturing them about the right way to sell. Pay them a wage that matches the responsibility of their job. California's minimum wage will equal my pay by 2016, and I have children. Your managers can't help but faint at the smell of their superiors butt, which causes resentment in your sales force because no one sees the managers as equals. You hire brown-nosers instead of performers and people persons and you get condescending jackasses that force people to cringe at the very sight of them. Not only that, but you expect 1/10 customers to buy your god-awful Greek Squad Tech Support, a $200 gimmick that does the same thing as the free Genius Bar or Microsoft Store. The fact of the matter is that just because your piece of paper that came from corporate says 1/10 should buy it, your more likely to get 1/30. Get some realistic numbers that revolve around the fact that the customer is going to buy what the customer's lifestyle warrants, not because your computer said that's what the goal is. I am proud to say that I will be leaving Best Buy shortly.

"Not the same company it used to be"

Former Employee - Multichannel Sales Support Manager
    Former Employee - Multichannel Sales Support Manager

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Salary was good in comparison to other retailers The company used to be amazing. Focusing on the employee and opportunity for growth was abundant.

Cons

They reorganize every year, which leads to anxiety about loosing your job. There is no incentive to grow with the company any longer, because the higher you go the more of a chance your job will be eliminated. They recently rolled out a year ago the United States Operating Model and for the most part, it was a good idea, but it put managers in reviews with associates more than running the floor or working in their discipline. They rolled out an asset protection lead position that was amazing, but then took AP away from the door and wondered why shrink shot through the roof... then realized that was crazy and brought them back to the door. Think before you act BBY.

Advice to Management

Make it about the employees again. Everyone is miserable.