Best Buy - Nice company, but II needs better management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Nice company, but II needs better management"

Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Prattville, AL
Current Employee - Sales Support Associate in Prattville, AL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are great, and a fun place to work, especially if you enjoy your position. It's a pretty good job for college students, because you'll get good hours, and your managers will hear you out for when you do and don't want to work.

Cons

Customers can be really disrespectful to you, but all of retail is like that. I personally think that we are underpaid, and our raises aren't high enough. The new CEO cut jobs and wages to save the company. He is a complete moron who doesn't know what he's doing. He needs to change our sales strategy to think like a customer, and find ways to satisfy them more. Customers as it is now find best buy associates to be annoying with all the questions that they ask you, as well as all of the questions they make the people who run the cash registers ask customers. The other issue is management. Sometimes you get good managers who know how to treat their employees and set and good example,while others seem to think that they can just order everyone around while they do LITTLE TO NO WORK. IF YOU HAVE TIME TO ORDER EVERYONE AROUND, THEN YOU HAVE TIME TO DO IT YOURSELF, YOU'RE JUST TO LAZYTO DO IT. With that being said, some managers aren't in school, aren't married, and live by themselves, so they don't care about your other obligations, and will try to make you stay later than you are scheduled as if you have nothing else to do.

Advice to Management

Need to follow the example of Amazon, they are an exceptional retail that the CEO could learn A LOT from. Store management needs to learn to treat employees better and set the example of how to be an exceptional Best Buy employee, management is about leadership and responsibility, not title and ordering people around while screw around.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Amazing"

Current Employee - Sales Lead in Auburn, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in Auburn, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management is very involved in helping employees move up. I can honestly say every manager I have worked for takes pride in seeing their employees move up to positions that they have prepared and worked hard for. Managers do everything in their power to help associates get to the next level. In my experience.

Cons

The focus can be misguided sometimes. We are told to look at one thing and make sure it is done well then criticized when something else is put on the back burner. Not everything can be focused on at the same time.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus around customer experience and employee experience.

2. "BORING"

Former Employee - Computer Specialist in McKinney, TX
    Former Employee - Computer Specialist in McKinney, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers were cool, had fun joking around with everyone, but that was really it. Great training program, and lots of different interfaces a salesman can use when working on a sale.

Cons

Basically just walk in circles all day, the location I worked at had a lot of country folk with cheap mentalities, and little knowledge of anything technical. New a guy that had been working there for 4 years, was a top salesman, didn't get a chance to be promoted while I was working there, is still a salesman to this day.

Advice to Management

Give better incentives, promote more frequently.