Best Buy - Annoying management but overall OK | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Annoying management but overall OK"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS

I have been working at Best Buy part-time

Pros

Nice starting wage for retail work, good training, and the benefits are pretty nice for discounts.

Cons

Chaotic hours with sudden changes are common and a strong drive towards numbers instead of customer satisfaction often leads to a commission based selling strategy without the pay.

Advice to Management

Decrease the importance of revenue goals and focus more on customer satisfaction scores or watch sales associates.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Paid well treated poorly"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-paid relatively well for position
    -good discount

Cons

-expected to skip lunches and breaks

-hired two weeks later then initially promised

-expected to work longer then scheduled hours

-initially paid with a strange company debit card that charged you to perform basic actions

Advice to Management

Rename warehouse position to something less misleading

hire based on skill at basic warehouse tasks (unloading/loading merchandise) not customer service skill

schedule me the actual amount of hours you want me to work

2. "A fun, energetic work atmosphere with opportunity for growth."

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best Buy is a fun place to work with company values that drive its success. We focus on serving customers and salaries are NOT commission-based, which helps alleviate the stress of sales positions.They offer team-structured, performance-based bonuses, which promote teamwork in service of the customer and are a nice reward for a job well done. The discount and vendor freebies are great. In such a large company, there is also plenty of room for cross-training, movement, and growth. Every time I have ever expressed interest in changing positions or learning something new, they have been able to accommodate me. Best Buy also gets involved with local communities, partners with national non-profits, and works to positively impact the environment. This has gotten me involved personally in my community and helped me become closer to my coworkers. They have also been really flexible with my availability and time-off requests (with the exception of the holidays). All of these things make it very easy for me to stay focused and engaged at work, and make me proud to work for this company.

Cons

It is a retail company, which inherently comes with the typical retail stresses. These include dealing with unpleasant/rude customers and hectic busy rushes. The company also requires personal sacrifices around the holidays - you may have to sit out on Thanksgiving dinner, and taking any time off around Christmas is impossible. Depending on your job, hours may be a con as well. When I was in sales, my schedule was never consistent. I always had plenty of hours, but it is very difficult to make plans for your personal life when you don't know more than two weeks in advance if you will be working a night or a weekend. Also, base pay. I always feel like I'm worth more than they're paying me. Annual performance reviews, raises, and promotions help. But deep down I still feel like I should be paid more. The fact that I enjoy going to work every day pacifies me in this aspect.