Best Buy - Cashier | Glassdoor

"Cashier"

Former Employee - Cashier
Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discounts are amazing. My store had various contests that helped our team strive for success. The managers really wanted you to succeed.

Cons

There was lots of training to work here. Most of it was pointless and unnecessary. There isn't a lot of room for advancement unless you invest years of your time with that company.

Advice to Management

They need to learn how to listen to the average employee for ideas. If they would listen to the small people, then that would motivate the employees to work harder because they feel like they are represented properly.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Sales Associate jobs can be tough sometimes"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good employee discount, and the opportunity to get bonuses based on revenue and margins for the month, interesting people to work with, above average pay, with opportunity to get a raise after working each year

Cons

Dealing with the public is very hard. Some customers are very rude. Also everyday you have quotas to meet for the day with include bby credit card apps, and Geek Squad protection which sometimes depending on the volume of store traffic can be difficult to get. Even thou Best Buy employees are not on commission, we are still expected to step customers up to better products (up sell) which will make us write experience worksheets to make sure we recommend every accessory to a customer. I work in Home theater so for example if someone is getting a tv other accessories would include (blu-ray, audio, screen cleaner, hdmi cables.....etc). Best Buy is a good employer but if your not willing to work your fingers to the bone and be patient and stay professional with the most difficult of customers both rude and ignorant you should not consider working for neither Best buy or any job in retail.

Advice to Management

Be more considerate when making decisions about policy. Sometimes customers are gonna to do what we recommend, in fact some customers become offended when we recommend things to them. Working at best buy is not easy and we are trying our best to make the company great.

2. "Best Buy - Not ideal for working mothers"

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay, Benefits, Bonus structure and company geography lend to Best Buy being a great employer

Cons

Frequent travel that is often last minute, inconsistency in performance management, highly subjective decision making by leadership, inconsistent human resources practices. Annual restructures lend to a high level of anxiety due to fear of losing your job.

Advice to Management

Understand your workforce. The company claims to be employee focused however their actions rarely support this statement.