Best Buy - Started out fun in the beginning... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Started out fun in the beginning..."

Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Advanced Repair Agent (ARA) Geek Squad in Houston, TX

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I started off as an ARA ( Advanced Repair Agent)for Geek Squad and began fixing everything from laptops to phones. Virus removals, complete tear downs of laptops to replace HDDs deep inside of mostly Dells... The occasional iPhone and laptop screen replacement.. Anything and everything except build the computer I did it.

Cons

HOURS. (It's retail, so it shifts everyday) I went in being promised 40hours a week, but the most I'd ever get was 35 being full time. No appreciation, no help from management. The Consultant Agents (CA) don't know much about computers and will check in anything for any reason to make the sale of tech support for ($199 a year) Sometimes they are told to sell as much as possible for any reason to make the day's quota. I have seen many people conned out of their hard earned money when if the CA would have known what they were doing could have easily fixed it for them and charged a $29 client education fee. Instead the company and management want their money, so they'd rather take more of the customer's dough. I've fixed countless "rush my repair" computers where the client is charged an extra $100 to get their computer back in 24 hours in 3-4 hours. Simple stuff, that may come easy to somewhat who knows what they're doing still shouldn't cost a customer that much money. Geek Squad is a rip off & their tech support is immediately shoved down your throat when you bring in a computer that has minimal problems.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees right and remember without them there is no YOU. Schedule hours correctly, and don't have your employees stay until 10pm closing and then have them show up at 7am the next day.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Best Buy was a great company to work for until its most recent re-structure."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Employee discount on cool products. Company pays well.

Cons

Long hours, especially if you're a manager. Managers are paid salary 40 hours a week and work 10 hour shifts 50 hours per week. During the holidays in Dec managers work 6 days.

Opportunities for advancement have diminished by eliminating manager and supervisor positions. The restructure has eliminated high paid assistant managers and supervisors and area managers and leads have been created to perform the same jobs but at lower pay.

Advice to Management

There needs to be a better work-life balance. Having small children and working 50+ hours a week is not ideal.

2. "Used to love it there"

I worked at Best Buy (More than 10 years)

Pros

It used to be a good place to work, and will be again some day

Cons

Transitioning to a more lean company is tough on employees

Advice to Management

Tell the truth to your employees - they will respect you for it.