Best Buy - Home Theater Sales Consultant | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Home Theater Sales Consultant"

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty flexible scheduling, will work with you if you have academics or another job.
Good culture, co-workers are friends and pretty laid back environment IF you are making your goals.
I have enjoyed my experience working there and work goes by fast.
AWESOME DISCOUNT

Cons

Goals can be a bit much.
Raises are VERY low unless you exceed goals each and every month.
Work can be a bit repetitive.
In my location, the break room and bathrooms are absolutely disgusting.

Advice to Management

When coaching employees, do not just demand a certain selling style. Everyone has their own way of selling and if that works, let them be.
Teach employees more on product knowledge before diving into selling techniques.
Online training is not a good way to teach employees on product knowledge, hands-on experience is key.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Great people to work with"

Pros

There are great people working here, and a good work environment

Cons

Pushed to sell a lot of products and add-on services.

2. "Great retail experience"

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant
    Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are absolutely great to work with, and everybody I work with seems to strive to be better in terms of sales and customer service. Great employee discount. This is my first job experience that I genuinely enjoyed coming to work because people I work with are enjoyable to speak to, and there is always something to do. The company is always striving to better themselves. Very organized mobile application system (BEAST) although it often crashes.

Cons

Management is really pushy about selling services more so than selling products (BBY credit cards, Geek Squad Protection plans, etc), sometimes to the point that customer service is not looked upon as "good work ethic" . Very minimal training in terms of products offered in the store, and I often spend my off time researching information on products in the store so I can better explain things to customers. I was hired as a Mobile Sales Consultant, but for the first 6 months, I was pushed to mp3s and was not allowed to work in mobile because "somebody needed to be in mp3"; trying to hit my monthly goals only selling mp3 accessories was extremely difficult, mind you. Luckily, I now am allowed to work in the mobile department, but the first few months were tough.

Advice to Management

I would love to get more information about products in our learning lounges rather than simply being taught selling skills. It's quite difficult for young workers to move up. I know plenty of co-workers who have had lead positions for 7 years in a row. I would love to stay with this company as a career, but I honestly don't see very many opportunities to get into higher positions, and selling things on the floor forever is not my goal in life...