Best Buy - Easy, Fun, Enjoyable workplace. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Easy, Fun, Enjoyable workplace."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

Flexible, Good Co-workers, Easy Advancement, Fun Environment, Great Discounts, Good Customers, Easy job employment, Weekend Store, middle class to high class customers, Various computer problems and setups, Environment backing from managers and Geek Squad, Tools and Software supplied, Knowledgeable techs and double agents, Great profit share program, supportive corporate offices and branches, great full-time benefits, Nice 401k plans, easy movement to Double Agent, 40 hours plus hours for full-time with overtime for most hard workers, Opinions suggested improvements, great first time position in computer technology.

Cons

Poor Manager, Lack of on job training, Require Meetings, Lack of hours for part-time, little advancements in part-time positions, fast turnover rate for new employees, little or no extra help on weekends and busy nights.

Advice to Management

Look to make friends with employees and they will entrust you with hours and work.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "If you are a hard worker who wants to work retail [and loves technology], Best Buy is your place."

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD

Pros

Compared to the world of retail jobs, Best Buy tries to hide this and make it seem like a job of much higher status. This presentation that Best Buy displays to new employees empowers you to work in a more respectable manner rather than you thinking that you have a lesser-status job.
    Next, they do not throw you into the battlefield immediately, they make all employees work one month without the blue shirt in order to be trained on and off the store floor.
    You don't have to know a whole lot about technology to get a job at Best Buy, overtime you are trained to learn about the products that are sold and how they benefit the customer's needs.
    The discount is unrivaled to any electronics and\or department store. I can't provide the details on it due to confidential issues, but it is generous.

Cons

Once you are fully trained, you are expected to make sales like a machine. Getting management to notice your great sales is overshadowed by any time you don't perform as well. If we we're commission based in some way, it would truely make efforts to sell products more worth it. You also have to constantly track your sales on a sheet, which gets very tedious and actually hinders you from making more sales. Most of the time it doesn't even seem like management has time to look at those sales tracking sheets anyway.
    Overall though, if you plan to work retail, Best Buy still shines over your other options.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees to do their jobs, and do give more recognition. If some employees don't have much to be recognized, start focusing on them and see where they can go. Try to recognize as many employees as possible, even for smaller sales.

2. "Best Buy doesnt care about its employees."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

Pros

Best Buy provides real-world insight into the complexities of running a business. Even the part-time employee is expected to have a clear understanding of what it takes to make a business profitable. I also found it easy to make friends at Best Buy, as nearly every employee was in my age range (20 - 30)

Cons

There is NO consideration for work/life balance. You are highly unlikely to be successful with the company if you can't make yourself available 24 hours a day. If you aren't at work, you should be on the phone driving business, checking in with your employees. These expectations may not be written into Best Buy "law", but they have become requirements due to the culture of fear that is created. No one ever feels safe in their position, even when they are succeeding. So, they push their employees harder and harder to meet unatainable goals. Everyone in leadership knows that no one cares about what you did last month, last week, or even yesterday. It's never good enough. So they fend off demotion/termination by riding the employees until they hate showing up for work.

Additionally, Best Buy constantly "restructures", eliminating/consolidating positions, trying and failing at new initiatives. Employees who have been in district level positions often find themselves back in the stores because their positions were deemed no longer necessary. That is, until a few months later, when the company decides that the new structure isn't working, and that the old positions should be reinstated. This gives the former district manager the pleasure of re-applying for their old job and hoping it isn't awarded to someone else.

The bottom line is, for whatever positives there may have been for me while I worked for Best Buy, I never once felt that the company cared about me. I never once felt safe and secure in my position, and overall, my experience with Best Buy was very disatisfying.

Advice to Management

Imagine this scenario. Two 18 year-old's with no previous experience decide to get part-time jobs. One goes to Wal-mart and is offered entry level money to stock shelves. He comes in each day, stocks the shelves, gets his "go-backs", and does the occasional cashier back-up, hoping to one day be a full-timer and maybe even a department supervisor. He interacts only with customers seeking assistance, and is never asked to sell anything. He focuses on his tasks and goes home satisfied with his work.

The other goes to Best Buy and gets entry level money to work in the Home Theater department. He comes in and has his supervisor, sales manager, and fellow Home Theater sales associates shove the daily numbers in his face. He knows exactly how many PSP's, accessories, and other miscellaneous add-on's have been sold today because his "customer experience manager" has been "pulling the numbers" every half hour all day long. He is immediately told that he has to sell x-number of PSP's. He is evaluated while he gives his customers the full-court press. He gets berated repeatedly for not being aggressive enough, or for not getting that PSP. If he gets a break in the action, he tries to straighten up the department, but is quickly yelled at because a man buying a $39 DVD player hasn't been contacted yet. He continually finds himself responsible for meeting sales expectations, while the labor around is being trimmed more and more all the time. He goes home late, feeling unfulfilled and not looking forward to the next days beatings. He doesn't look forward to putting a fake smile on his face and high fiving the guys because they hit their psp numbers yesterday. But he's even unluckier than he thinks, because the experience only gets worse as you move up the ladder.

My advice is this: Stop thinking about how you can put your customers into neat little groups ("Buzz", "Jill", "Whatever"), and start thinking about how you can lift your employees' spirits. Make them happy to come to work. Listen to their complaints and make meaningful changes. I left of my own volition, as have many before me. I considered myself a valuable asset to the company. If you felt the same way, I might still work for you.