Best Buy - Easy, Fun, Enjoyable workplace. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"Easy, Fun, Enjoyable workplace."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Des Moines, IA

Pros

Flexible, Good Co-workers, Easy Advancement, Fun Environment, Great Discounts, Good Customers, Easy job employment, Weekend Store, middle class to high class customers, Various computer problems and setups, Environment backing from managers and Geek Squad, Tools and Software supplied, Knowledgeable techs and double agents, Great profit share program, supportive corporate offices and branches, great full-time benefits, Nice 401k plans, easy movement to Double Agent, 40 hours plus hours for full-time with overtime for most hard workers, Opinions suggested improvements, great first time position in computer technology.

Cons

Poor Manager, Lack of on job training, Require Meetings, Lack of hours for part-time, little advancements in part-time positions, fast turnover rate for new employees, little or no extra help on weekends and busy nights.

Advice to Management

Look to make friends with employees and they will entrust you with hours and work.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "If you are a hard worker who wants to work retail [and loves technology], Best Buy is your place."

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Columbia, MD

Pros

Compared to the world of retail jobs, Best Buy tries to hide this and make it seem like a job of much higher status. This presentation that Best Buy displays to new employees empowers you to work in a more respectable manner rather than you thinking that you have a lesser-status job.
    Next, they do not throw you into the battlefield immediately, they make all employees work one month without the blue shirt in order to be trained on and off the store floor.
    You don't have to know a whole lot about technology to get a job at Best Buy, overtime you are trained to learn about the products that are sold and how they benefit the customer's needs.
    The discount is unrivaled to any electronics and\or department store. I can't provide the details on it due to confidential issues, but it is generous.

Cons

Once you are fully trained, you are expected to make sales like a machine. Getting management to notice your great sales is overshadowed by any time you don't perform as well. If we we're commission based in some way, it would truely make efforts to sell products more worth it. You also have to constantly track your sales on a sheet, which gets very tedious and actually hinders you from making more sales. Most of the time it doesn't even seem like management has time to look at those sales tracking sheets anyway.
    Overall though, if you plan to work retail, Best Buy still shines over your other options.

Advice to Management

Continue to empower employees to do their jobs, and do give more recognition. If some employees don't have much to be recognized, start focusing on them and see where they can go. Try to recognize as many employees as possible, even for smaller sales.

2. "Show more initiative in training."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Indianapolis, IN

Pros

The majority of the people I work with are great. When I go into work, i am always met with enthusiam from my fellow co-workers, lots of hello's, how are you, we missed you! The discounts are wonderful. Best Buy offers a lot of company outings, like picnics, game nights, etc. During early morning meetings, breakfast is always provided, and enthusiam is up. When we have special events going on in the city, or during holiday season, we have special games, contests, and incentives for the employees.

Sometimes, vendors will also give certain employees accommodations for their products. Vendors may also come and demonstrate new products, and highlight their features.

Cons

No communication. We have a lot of talking, but definitely no communication. Management has a lot of interaction with the entire store, but the departmental supervisors do not actively participate in hands on training of new associates. I have been there for a year now, and have only worked with my supervisor a small handful of times, and only for an hour or so at a time. When she is there, she is never in our department, she is always out in other area's. Sometimes I can go for a few weeks without seeing her. I never know what has changed in our department, or in the entire store until I seek out a manager.

Advice to Management

Encourage supervisors to take an interest in their departmental staff. It is hard for a new person to sell something when they are not properly trained.