Best Buy - At the time a good place to be | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"At the time a good place to be"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

When I worked for the company (up until april 2014) there were many ways to move up in the company. It has since changed in that the amount of leadership was more than cut in half, limiting the variety of avenues and positions available to the majority of employees who are either part time or full time. I will say that the company is great at training, but to move up it is 100% on what you put into your growth and letting leadership know what your intentions are. Don't count on someone else moving you up in the company, but build strong relationships to ensure you are seen.

Cons

The company has changed the overall structure, not confident in the future of the company as a whole. I now see leadership as WAY overworked and underpaid. People should absolutely have to work hard, but the amount of recent change would make life in the big box more than demanding.

Advice to Management

Good luck.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Be prepared to do very little computer work at Geek Squad"

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Staff is great and friendly. Overall relatively drama free. Bonuses and benefits are great. Employee discounts are nice.

Cons

Very little computer work in Geek Squad. That is where I worked. I joined that team hoping to gain some computer repair skills. I have gained a few thou I will admit. Keep in mind that this is still retail, and you will be expected to help in day to day retail activities if that is where you want to work. Though you are given some training you really need to keep up on new tech on your own. You really need to know what you can and cannot do with protection plans.

Advice to Management

Make the division between Geek Squad and customer service more distinctive. Have sales people be more clear about protection plans do and do not cover.

2. "Great people to work with, although management was very poor."

Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate
    Current Employee - Asset Protection Associate

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee discounts, it is very large on best buy's brand names.
    Coworkers were pleasant and I always had a good time at work.

Cons

At my location management was very bad. The general manager played favorites which made it hard for him to see how some of the other employees were actually performing their jobs. Never get a raise!