Best Buy - Horrible | Glassdoor

"Horrible"

Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Sunrise, FL
Current Employee - Mobile Sales Consultant in Sunrise, FL

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Your able to meet people and expanding your network. Also I work in the mobile department so phones are a big deal to people. You either do great and give them the best experience. Or you mess up their phone and it becomes a bad interaction.

Cons

DOES NOT PAY ENOUGH. Especially in the mobile department. I recommend being a cashier or something easier. What sense does it make for cell phones employees and cashiers to make the same amount of money. In mobile you need to kno about 15+ carriers plus the pro and cons about each, and what will be great for the customer. At AT&T stores sprint and verizon. They get paid at least 12. In mobile they start you at 9 which is complete bull.

Advice to Management

I love electronics but management is management. It sucks in every store honestly. And I can't just blame mangers. I blame the CEO. I'm fed up with company. Most of its the pay. In mobile you don't get compensated for your work it's completely unfair. I might as well be a cashier and make the same amount of money. Won't deal with the stress of customers with their phones. I Won't recommend bestbuy to any of my family or friends.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Good at first, then not so much."

Current Employee - Sales Supervisor
    Current Employee - Sales Supervisor

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It can be a fun and challenging environment with lots of potential.

Cons

You don't get paid enough for what you sell and it is a thankless job.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better as they are taken advantage of far too often.

2. "Good people, bad policies and structure"

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA)
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA)

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The people that Best Buy hires are good people. My favorite part of working there has always been the family atmosphere I experience and create with my coworkers on our teams. We work together to make things work.

Cons

Corporate is so disconnected with the stores that they constantly experiment with policies at the employee and customer expense, despite employee reactions. Best Buy's systems are antiquated and break constantly. It is a normal experience to have to work around broken systems and registers to sell something to a customer, or check them in for a service, or process their return. Best Buy also has a habit of running out of supplies that are needed for business operation on the regular. The same goes for all the stores I have worked at in my 5 years.

This is also not a company to stick with because they won't stick with you. Even if you move up, you have no value to the company. So many managers who valued the company and its principles and worked there for several years, dedicated to every customer no matter how badly they were treated, were fired or let go in company restructures or without explanation.

There is a lot of shady stuff going on behind the scenes at Best Buy as well. I have seen managers reading supposedly confidential "employee satisfaction surveys" and then finding reasons to discipline or fire those employees afterwards (meanwhile logging in with the general manager's login, which they should not have). I have seen employees discriminated against. An employee was sent home over hair color, while other employees had more alternative hair colors and piercings, and when HR got involved, their response was "Well... we can make the other employees change their hair color but there's nothing we can do for you even though you're being singled out in this situation. It's your general managers decision."

Just watch your back working here. They will do you dirty if you don't.

Advice to Management

Keep supplies stocked, learn to value and reward your most talented employees and not just the "suck ups." I've seen too many amazing and hard working, committed employees get fired in shady ways, while the slackers keep their jobs.
    Also, stop rewarding the customers that are literally there to wring the company dry. While our good, paying customers get nothing, the ones that kick and scream and cause problems are getting free things and priority treatment so those are the customers that keep coming back for more.