Best Buy - Best Buy | Glassdoor

"Best Buy"

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent traning to become better salesman

Cons

No room for advancement in the company

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "The Blue Crew is indeed blue...if you mean depressing."

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA) in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA) in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overall, I liked a lot of the hourly employees that I worked with throughout my 5 years with Best Buy. Originally, it was a super fun place to work. The whole store had a team mentality, was in close competition with other stores, and every day was fun.

Cons

This company does not value it's employees. Like many corporations, it treats it's employees like they are disposable. Have car issues and you're late? FIRED. Have medical issues and hospital visits causing you to miss work? FIRED. Have child care issues? FIRED. But, don't do your job and have multiple write-ups for performance. NO BIGGIE, NOT FIRED. The amount of training and knowledge that a person has does not factor in to what kind of employee you're thought of. They want robots, not people. They even teach out how to make small talk with people. As if someone needs to be taught how to do that. They motivate through fear tactics. It's really no wonder this company has not done well over the past few years. The pay diminished and they are constantly restructuring and losing very valuable employees to hire new, younger, cheaper labor. This is a dead end job, with little chance for advancement. It took me 4 years of very hard work and dozens of interviews to get promoted to full-time, only to shortly afterward get dinged for being 5 minutes late. When I was "let go", they may as well have been sitting there watching my clock-on time. I got a flat-tire on my way to work, and still made it to work, but clocked in exactly 5 minutes late. I was promptly taken to the admin office and they cut a check for me on the spot and sent me walking out the door.

2. "Abysmal"

Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Support Associate in Frisco, TX

I worked at Best Buy part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers. That's about it.

Cons

Horrifically managed, poor working environment. Managers and supervisors alike will use you as scapegoats to escape any criticism on their part. There are too many useless 'performance reviews' that do not actually help the employees. It's more of an intimidation tactic. I was told to either bring up my "numbers" or I would be fired. I loathed going to work here everyday so much I developed clinical depression.

Advice to Management

You need to re-work your entire employee structure. Too little management, and too many responsibilities for poorly paid sales associates.