Best Buy - could be better | Glassdoor

"could be better"

Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility sometimes. the pay is ok for a high school student.

Cons

supervisor sucks, favoritism, the way they run things is just a mess. it could be better if they had better leaders and a better system. I have seen 6 new employees in the 6 months ive been there and they were lazy, that says a lot. the online training they have you do every few weeks was just to much for a cashier.

Advice to Management

let the cashiers be cashiers not sellsmen. a better system for employees to grow

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

"Company crossed the line and proved they have no value or integrity."

Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Greenfield, WI
    Current Employee - Computer Sales Specialist in Greenfield, WI

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Taught me the value of customer interaction and how not to treat my employees. Although this comes from a very negative experience, it is something I look back on many years later.

Cons

Store operations and management do not value their employees and treat them as disposable. They do not value their customers and would rather lie and cheat them to edge out a few extra cents. My story comes from a situation in which a customer wished to purchase a computer. As helpful as I could be, the service plan was just not in the budget for the customer. I was instructed by my department manager to inform the customer that the computer was not in stock and drop the sale. Reluctantly I did something I promised I would never do again and turned the customer away. The customer walked around the isles and found the computer new and in a box on the top shelf of an isle and demanded that we sell it to them. Upset with myself, I agreed to sell the computer to the customer and helped them out to the car. When I returned the General Manager was waiting for me and informed me that if I sold another one of them without a service plan he would have no choice but to let me go. To this day I still have several "customer service" awards from Best Buy and was proud of my accomplishments. I couldn't believe he would threaten me for doing the right thing. I looked at my manager and apologized, handed my name badge in and walked out of the store to never return.

Advice to Management

Employee retention and development, are the key elements to the strength on any company.

2. "Solid, but dynamic"

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Fun environment
    people are great
    Company is stable
    Great Managers make this a amazing place to work

Cons

retail
    constant changes
    reo-orgs
    annual review process
    training, it seems to be more of a job where you either can do it or you just cant.

Advice to Management

employee bonus incentive