Best Buy - could be better | Glassdoor

"could be better"

Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
Former Employee - Customer Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Best Buy part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexibility sometimes. the pay is ok for a high school student.

Cons

supervisor sucks, favoritism, the way they run things is just a mess. it could be better if they had better leaders and a better system. I have seen 6 new employees in the 6 months ive been there and they were lazy, that says a lot. the online training they have you do every few weeks was just to much for a cashier.

Advice to Management

let the cashiers be cashiers not sellsmen. a better system for employees to grow

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

1. "Good company overall but experiences vary from store to store."

Current Employee - Customer Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Customer Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Best Buy part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of being employed by Best Buy is your co-workers and the employee discount. Another perk would be the amount of knowledge you gain about all the most recent technologies. Also, the company is pretty good about working with you if happen to be in school full time.

Cons

There doesn't seem to be a lot of room to advance and work/home balance is nothing great especially if you want to be with family around the holidays but that is to be expected with retail.

2. "I absolutely love my store, the best job I've ever had. Not a career (unless sought after), but a great job."

Current Employee - Microsoft Consultant
    Current Employee - Microsoft Consultant

I have been working at Best Buy full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The store I work at is just a joy to be a part of. We have more fun than i think any other store does. We have contests all the time and we have store activities outside of the workplace all the time. Not only do we just have a great time, but we perform as a team and do well. Win and lose as a team. I love my department and wouldn't want to work anywhere else at the moment. I bring quite a bit to the table with 28-32 apps a month. Which is way above average. I've been presented an opportunity to coach and train new employees after only working there for 4 months. I got a promotion last month and a pay raise, based off performance and leadership. Very quick turn around as long as you are committed and performing to your best abilities.

Cons

Too many people walk around with a look on their face like somebody stole their puppy. I try to bring a joy to my store and create an atmosphere that is enjoyable not only for the customer, but the fellow coworker as well. Some people have life stuff going on, i understand that. But we need to have fun. We still do tons of fun stuff all the time. I hate how the management and leadership is all about numbers and you pretty much have to sell the paint off the wall. They say its not high pressure but it is. You have to meet rev and gsp goals as well as other things. BUT if you display and put the behaviors learned in training there isn't any problem meeting those goals.

Advice to Management

Focus less on number. I realize it's a business, so money matters. But if you focus more on incorporating the behaviors into our daily routines, your numbers will arise.