Best Buy - The 2nd best retail company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Buy

"The 2nd best retail company to work for."

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Washington, DC
Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Washington, DC

Pros

If you're looking for:
money as a student.
a retail career that promotes performance.
a great employee discount
flexible schedules
great benefits

Cons

Inconsistent performance management
Non commission sales
Pay grades for line level associates
Broken Communication - By the time the message gets to you, it's a totally different vision than what the CEO stated. Last minute notifications or no notifications at all. Hardly see anything planned out well on a store level. (I don't mean all stores...but alot of them)

Advice to Management

Don't announce it when you're doing visits to stores. Do it randomly so you can get a true vision of how your businesses are running. That's the only way you're going to move from last min district visit preps until 1am to consistent non-negotiables.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Buy

"Personality is what makes Best Buy employees a joy or a curse to work with."

Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Pflugerville, TX
    Current Employee - Geek Squad, Agent (CIA) in Pflugerville, TX

Pros

Most would just mention the discount and be done with it. I personally enjoy my job, and if you're the type that has technical skills, you get to exercise those skills from time to time. It's a great place to build up experience if you plan to go into the field of IT. Also, it'll show you a bit about how you handle pressures of time, management, clients, and coworkers. As long as you are the type to understand this is your job that you have been hired to do, and you're doing Best Buy a favor by being there, it will be a good job for you. Having knowledge coming in is always a plus, as you can learn on the job, but it will be more of a sink or swim experience. It might not end well, and you might get transferred out of the department due to lack of useful knowledge.

Cons

There isn't much room for advancement, unless you don't have a problem stepping on people as you advance up the ranks. Depending on how old you are, you may have a great time adjusting to your new surroundings, or not so great. Most people I work with are either in high school or mid-twenties, and are very social people. This isn't a good company to work for if you're not a social person, and if you cringe when someone says hi to you, I'd advise to look elsewhere for employment. Aside from the huge pressure of selling items like 'Black Tie Protection' 'BuyBack' & 'Credit Apps', I've seen some people really shine, despite the obstacles in front of them.

Advice to Management

In the 3+ years working for the company, I see people loathe working because there's no personal culture within the stores. On the videos that we're shown, there are always energetic, happy people that are thrilled about what they do. It would be nice to work in a place with that much energy. I personally believe the ViewPoint surveys that are taken aren't really effective. Before I moved to another store, I personally gave low scores for 2 years (with constructive comments) just to see if anything would change as a result. No such change happened, or was even mentioned. I have since moved to another store with a little better working environment, but I'm slowly starting to notice the same things happen again.

2. "Great place to work, people are a mixed bag."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

Pros

Pretty good company, good compensation, fun place to work, great discount, many coworkers are fun to be around, fast paced work environment

Cons

management has no idea how to run a store, don't give appropriate time for training, don't understand that numbers for the day are directly related to the number of people who come into the store (something the employees can't control)

Advice to Management

Understanding where employees are coming from as far as sales, credit cards are not the only way to make money, quotas are not a way to motivate employees.