Best Western - I really love working here | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Best Western

"I really love working here"

Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Redwood City, CA
Current Employee - Front Desk Clerk in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Best Western part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have lots of free time at my job. I watch tv, go on the internet, do homework, draw, exercise.... anything to keep me entertained. I work an 8 hour shift, and I only deal with customers for about an hour of that. The rest of the time, I do whatever I want. It's awesome and I get paid for it. I work in a 30 room best western, so i'm guessing only small hotels like this will give you so much free time. I barely ever see coworkers, except when we change shifts.The customers are pretty nice, older people traveling and going to the hospital mostly. I got A's in my school because I had so much time to do homework at my job. I was the smart one in all my classes because I had so much time to study.

Cons

I only get paid 8.50. So I wouldn't be able to survive in the world on my own without my parents to live with. The coworkers and manger are not that friendly, but the beautiful part is that I never see them because the Front Desk only requires one person.

Advice to Management

Be friendly. Smile, and ask how you're employees are doing. Try not to nitpick at every little mistake. Don't blame employees for everything. When an employee fails at something, its usually because you failed to teach them.

Other Employee Reviews for Best Western

1. "A good hotel with a great restaurant."

Former Employee - Bellman in Aptos, CA
    Former Employee - Bellman in Aptos, CA

I worked at Best Western part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great food in the restaurant. Employees get 50% off on food. Family members of employees can stay in hotel for 50% off. Employees can stay at other Best Westerns for 50% off.

Cons

They wouldn't let us wear shorts in the summer. Management only available on weekdays. All employees need to be willing to work weekends and holidays, including Christmas.

Advice to Management

If you're going to fire a supervisor, make sure you get a trained a replacement ASAP instead of waiting for the problem to solve itself.

"Overall good place to work - just lack of resources and technology to do many things"

Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales & Marketing in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Best Western full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great people
    -Decent pay
    -Good benefits
    -Company values
    -Leadership team

Cons

-Rigid IT processes make it difficult to get things done quickly and have first mover advantage
    -Very political
    -Too many meetings
    -Expectation is to be on call 24/7
    -Limited career growth opportunities
    -Constant change in direction
    -Very short, sometimes unreasonable deadlines
    -Business model - independently owned and operated hotels, makes it difficult to have a consistent experience for the guest

Advice to Management

-Be more customer centric than property centric
    -Invest in marketing and business intelligence technology