BevMo! - Decent | Glassdoor

"Decent"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BevMo! part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

wine/beer tastings. Customers are usually happy. We get priority on limited items.

Cons

working cashier for days. Only get a 10% discount on goods.

Advice to Management

more hours

Other Employee Reviews for BevMo!

"Only a good job if management likes you"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at BevMo! part-time

Pros

-Great co-workers
    -Hours are flexible
    -Clean environment
    -Relatively easy job (especially if you know where everything is in the store)
    -Almost all of the customers are fun to talk to

Cons

-Low hours
    -poor training
    -bad management
    -no benefits for part time employees

I was put on the floor the first day they opened with no training at all! I had no idea what to do and every time a customer asked me something I had to tell them I didn't know. I didn't know how to look items up on the computer or where anything was located - I couldn't answer any of their questions! It was so embarrassing They provide you with very little training (our training consisted of them telling us about the company). They also get mad at you if you don't know how to do something but they never trained you on it. I know I lost the store sales because I had to tell customers we didn't have a certain item because I couldn't find it on the shelves and I didn't know how to look an item up - only to find out later we did have that item. If you want to be trained on anything (like how to use the cash register) you either get a 2 minute walk through by management if you're lucky or you have to have someone else who knows how to show you. Management doesn't know what they were doing - the first week we were using the cash registers we weren't assigned a register, didn't have to sign in or count the till - it would of been almost too easy to pocket a customers money if I wanted to! I had almost 40 hours the first week I worked there because it was grand opening but after that I was down to an average of 5 hours a week. After a while ALL of our hours went down significantly - I was switched to being 'on call' meaning they'd call me if they had no other choice. I'm still employed there but haven't worked in over a month. And they do play favorites.

To be honest I don't think it's that bad of a company to work for - I just think it just depends on which store you're working and who your managers are.

Advice to Management

Actually take the time to properly train your employees. It'd save the company time and money.

"One long punch-line"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elk Grove, CA

I have been working at BevMo! part-time

Pros

Fun, kick back place to work in. Customer's can be fun for the most part. and you get to meet some really cool interesting people. definitely a good bouncing pad to get a job elsewhere in the booze industry

Cons

Corporate does not care about the people making them their money. They are more concerned with making themselves look like they know how to run a successful company, yet all they do is cut corners, open more and more stores, all the while stepping on the heads of their own people. Lack of training is a big thing as well, everything is either on the job, or you just have to do it yourself. Wine tastings they send you to are rare and the same two or three go anyways. they definitely need to make a change that actually works.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your associates have to say, they are the money-makers. Start scheduling more than 2 or 3 people to a shift, the customers can tell when we are frustrated when we are understaffed and it makes us feel even more frustrated. Also, give real incentive to do well, we are already incredibly underpaid for the job we do and the amount of knowledge we are expected to learn. Also, just because we don't want to work a last minute extension on our shift, or accept a shift that you spring on us last minute, does not mean we don't want hours, it means our life does NOT revolve around work.