Big 5 - Love/hate relationship | Glassdoor

"Love/hate relationship"

Former Employee - Cashier in North Highlands, CA
Former Employee - Cashier in North Highlands, CA

I worked at Big 5 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was able to advance my knowledge of different sporting equipment and still use the knowledge of footwear when I purchase shoes. I was able to learn about sports that I otherwise would not have cared to because when a customer is asking you have to give them the right info and products. There was always something to do which helped pass the time. I learned many different things from working there from cashiering to the sales floor and everything in between. I still use what i learned from there as often as possible.

Cons

Promotions and raises are far and few between. The dress code is ridiculous you have to wear office attire, dress shoes and cant have facial piercings tattoos that show or chew gum on the floor. I think employees should look presentable but its a part time minimum job (unless you are in management) at a sporting goods store i think sneakers and khakis and a collared shirt would be acceptable.

Advice to Management

Promote the employees who work their butts off or at least offer them better hours and pay. I worked there for around 2 years and got a 25¢ raise and had wanted to be a manager trainee, was repeatedly told my application was on the top but nothing ever happened.

Other Employee Reviews for Big 5

1. "It was easy and a great enrty level job"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oceanside, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Oceanside, CA

I worked at Big 5 part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Promotion Opportunities, Friendly Environment, Very Flexible

Cons

Tedious, Horrible Management, Untidy, No benefits

2. "Could be worse"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Colorado Springs, CO

I have been working at Big 5 part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Never got denied a requested day off, coworkers / managers were good people (varies by store). Decent hours and were able to work around my college classes.

Cons

Dress Code - It's the 21'st century, button-up, ties and slacks in a sporting goods environment is ridiculous. No facial hair except for mustaches. This kind of dress code really has no place in any retail store, especially a sporting goods one.
    Pay is a bit underwhelming.

Advice to Management

Ditch the dress code, this isn't 1975.