Big Blue Swim School - Rewarding, but Plagued | Glassdoor

"Rewarding, but Plagued"

Former Employee - Swim Instructor in Niles, IL

I worked at Big Blue Swim School full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to teach others to swim, and the other employees are great and try to keep morale high. Some of the local management really rocked and did an awesome job of setting and keeping standards high. Seeing a child go from being afraid of the water to getting in and swimming is so rewarding. I myself learned how to swim better here, and got to meet some employees I now consider close friends. It was a lifechanging... experience, in the best way.

Cons

Upper management has no experience in managing, they are unable to communicate program changes or price changes, or launch a promotion with the infrastructure in place. I was made fun of by another employee for being homosexual, and nothing was done by HR. I developed severe rashes from improperly balanced water (pH 9 according to the pool computer.) I was told the water is fine and to just get in the pool. It was a... lifechanging experience.

Advice to Management

Communicate, educate, relate. Cut out the fat.

Big Blue Swim School2018-08-20

Big Blue Swim School Response

August 24, 2018Director of HR and Compliance

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback. We are concerned regarding some of the information you shared and would like to better understand what occurred as we don’t tolerate the types of behaviors you have described. It is important to us that Big Blue Swim School remains a safe and professional environment so we would definitely appreciate any additional information you can provide. Please don’t hesitate to reach out at any time. We can be contacted at 773-701-8081 or hr@bigblueswim.school.

Other Employee Reviews

1. "Best Job I’ve Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Swim Teacher in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Big Blue Swim School full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very rewarding and your efforts are always noticed. Great feedback from management and lots of help getting you to where you want to be in the company.

Cons

Some co-workers bring along drama but that’ll be found in any workplace.

Advice to Management

None, you’re doing amazing!!

Big Blue Swim School2019-07-02
  2. "Okay job, not great pay"

I worked at Big Blue Swim School

Pros

Entry level, get to spend time with kids, learn swimming techniques, most holidays off

Cons

Very little pay, crappy hours.

Big Blue Swim School2018-11-28

Discover more reviews about Big Blue Swim School.