Big Lots - Store manager | Glassdoor

"Store manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Big Lots full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay was decent. Good employee discount

Cons

No life work balance. DM expected you to work 6 days a week. When I asked for help on how to better this he would deflect and try to change the subject. I worked 6 days a week and still couldn't get all the tasks completed. Company would give huge projects with no notice or payroll but was expected to get it done no questions asked.
Inventory levels too high for sales volume. Expected to fit 3 pallets of toilet paper on the floor along with 3 pallets of water but don't put it near the front of the store where it might sell. How do you sell Ohio State Buckeye stuffed animals or North Dakota State product when you don't live in the state. Expected tp process 3000 piece trucks with in 24 hours but you are not given the payroll to do it. Always told we were doing dock to stock wrong but when you talked with other stores they were struggling too DM didn' t , like any push back. He only seem to favor employees that agreed with him and didn't want to listen voices that maybe wanted to improve the systems.
Too many floor changes. Constantly touching merchandise 3 or 4 times- wasted productivity.
Facilities very run down. Both employees and especially customers totally disrespect the store.
DM expected the store to look like Macy's but maybe allowed 3 or 4 employees per shift. These employes were expected to ring the registers, help customers on the floor, load merchandise into cars and recover the store perfectly. Physically impossible to do and when mentioned to DM again no good helpful solutions were offered.
DM was in it for himself. Terrified of his boss so would do whatever it would take if his Boss was coming for a visit. Would threaten your job if his Boss had a bad visit.

Big Lots is in for the money and obviously don't care about what it takes to get there.
I am a very seasoned retail manager and worked in many various retail settings but this by far was the worst company I ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Need to look at stores inventory levels. Maybe look to see if the store could sell the product. They can look at stores history to see what sells well and what doesn't. Just because you bought it doesn't mean it will sell ie funnel cake mix.
Be realistic on your dock to stock productivity
Do employee background checks before you hire them
Be open to new ideas. Seem to be stuck in old management
Create a more open work environment. Upper management threatens job security instead of listening to employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Big Lots

1. "Great job for high school or college student."

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist

Pros

Flexible schedule (great place for high school or college students), small number of employees so it is more like a family, certain jobs are easier than others for sure, management are pretty nice and not on your back all the time.

Cons

Not enough help at any time, corporate cuts cost which is a negative, unloading the trucks is very hard work and merchandise must be put out in a certain amount of time with limited help. It is nearly impossible to move up as the management have it made so they hardly ever quit or leave their current position. If you want to move up and live in an area with very few stores, you'll have to move to gain a higher position.

Advice to Management

Watch what people are doing more often, don't expect so much to get done in little time with little help.

2. "Special Projects Manager"

Pros

Worked at many different locations within Canada. I was able to utilize many of my skills to the benefit of the Company. I was able to see how each region is different and I was able to utilize some of those differences in other regions within the company.

Cons

Sometimes it became to political. I try to not get involved in this.

Advice to Management

Learn to draw from your past experiences. In most cases those skills are still relevant in today's market.