BigCommerce - It's really fun, but not much money to be made | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BigCommerce

"It's really fun, but not much money to be made"

Former Employee - ECommerce Business Consultant in Austin, TX
Former Employee - ECommerce Business Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at BigCommerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It was a really fun place to work. Most of the people I loved working with are no longer there, but I am sure there are still a lot of great people at the company. The snacks, games, beer on Friday and generally laid back, young atmosphere are great - I missed them a lot when I left.

Cons

The best people and great culture don't pay my bills. I was promised FAR more than I made. The low base & low commission just aren't made up for with the hope of future payout from stock. If you want to work at a pretty cool place and don't need to make much money, I'd say go for it. If you need to make money, in sales at least, you'll be lucky to break $75,000 and you will bust your butt to get to that.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic regarding compensation, increase compensation and decrease stock - the majority of your staff are young and struggling, recognize and invest in top talent when it is right in front of you.

Other Employee Reviews for BigCommerce

"Best Job I've ever had"

Current Employee - Tech Support Ninja in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Tech Support Ninja in Austin, TX

I have been working at BigCommerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

*Free Food on Tuesdays
    *Happy Hour every Friday
    *Great company culture
    *Respect from coworkers and superiors
    *Everyone is family
    *Home-away-from-home
    *Amazing benefits

Cons

*Not always the most organized (we're still a start up, it's to be expected)

Advice to Management

None, keep doing what you do. Super proud to be working here!

"Creative environment with ambitious goals."

Current Contractor - Junior Salesforce Administrator in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Junior Salesforce Administrator in Austin, TX

I have been working at BigCommerce as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

At BC, you're encouraged to speak out about your ideas and concerns which is a big relief. Their playful environment supports their employee's mental and physical health, BC not only cares about their goals as a company but cares about each individual as well. I felt very welcome to the team! By the way, their stand ups are amazing!

Cons

If you're a contractor you kind of feel like the odd cousin at the family get-together. You're there and working with the team but when it comes time for the stand ups it feels like you're not really apart of it all.

Advice to Management

Clear communication. BC welcomes ideas and sometimes gets carried away with too much ambition. This can sometimes make the employee's under you feel like they don't have a clear direction or goal in mind. At meetings, everyone should take notes. This is also apart of communication, I've seen where there was a meeting one day and the next, after implementing, it was a surprise that a small action took place when it was agreed upon in the meeting yesterday.