Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - Golden Handcuffs-- Hard to leave but not great to stay | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

"Golden Handcuffs-- Hard to leave but not great to stay"

Pros

When you land on a good team with good people, you are surrounded with the smartest, brightest, funniest people. Benefits are out of this world.

Cons

From the perspective of someone on the lower end of the food chain, I am floored how bad the attitude towards admins and PCs are here. Many people in those positions have masters degrees and remarkable backgrounds in the biggest names in the world. And once you arrive at BMGF the attitude is shut up, print this, schedule that. I once pushed back, and was told point blank that 700 people applied for my job, so if I would like to be somewhere else that wouldn't be a problem for them. It always seems like the minute I decide I am done they send me to Africa, loop me in on a big project, or I meet someone amazing. Golden handcuffs, I swear. I wouldn't say that I regret my time here...but unless you want to be an admin for a while and settle in to the role, I would not advise someone taking a lower level job here in the hopes of an amazing opportunity, which is what I did.

Advice to Management

At this point I don't really expect management to worry about the little people, but a holistic look at how you treat your people is needed.

Other Employee Reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

"Good Exposure"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation as a contractor

Pros

You get to work in actual development type work and you can really feel that you can contribute to the development world.

Cons

Quite hectic work, and may be sometimes it has too much bureaucracy. You may work on something but then realize it doesn't get read by the people who should read it. Too much data is out there, so sometimes it is difficult to focus on the most important aspects.

"Program Officer"

I have been working at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time

Pros

Excellent place to work if you are passionate about solving complex issues. There are plenty of opportunities to lead, learn and grow, despite the flat structure. The overall organization promotes work life/balance and have many policies to support employees.

Cons

Constant sea of change at all levels - staff, managers, systems, etc. Managers often have great content expertise but lack management experience which can make the work challenging. In addition, your relationship with your manager will impact how much you can balance your work.