Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation - I worked in the programmatic side at the foundation for 4 years | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

"I worked in the programmatic side at the foundation for 4 years"

Former Employee - Programs in Seattle, WA
Former Employee - Programs in Seattle, WA

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity for impact, networks, wide range of experiences and the chance to grow and develop as an individual contributor.

Cons

Surprisingly risk averse group of people who lack creativity as funders. Raikes has all the right intentions, but does not have the respect he needs to change things at the level of the directors and deputy directors.

Too many staff that do not share foundation taste for "silver bullets" leads to dysfunction as try to do things not strictly on strategy.

Advice to Management

Go for it Jeff! Be bold. Make change. Retain good talent and don't be shy about getting a team that shares the vision of the co-chairs.

Other Employee Reviews for Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

"Perhaps a chance for a new start..."

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Numerous smart folks, good benefits, nice working environment

Cons

Toxic work environment, inept management, disrespect of employees at all levels

Advice to Management

To the co-chairs - please have the courage to hire a Raikes replacement who is compassionate, competent and caring. So many opportunities were missed during Jeff's administration - the best replacement will right the ship and set a new, productive course.

"Glad I worked there, thrilled I left"

I worked at Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The name brand with the foundation is great on your CV, the campus and benefits are great, and there are some individuals who truly changed my outlook on the world for the better. There is some innovating going on, I am better prepared to think even more critically and bring a polished level of professionalism where ever I go.

Cons

Toxic, difficult work environment, like 1200 crabs in a bucket trying to claw their way into owning something important. The office dynamics and politics are suffocating even for those most game for those issues. People are obsessed with getting in there and then are faced with am overwhelming amount of red tape. The time I was there was a complete slog with amazing bright spots of travel and good people. I can't say I would recommend the place in the least bit, but I guess I am glad I was there. I am mostly just glad it's over.

Advice to Management

The re orgs and the bloat...my god. The roots of the cultural problems run so deep I don't think BCG or MicKinsey can you get out.