Bio-Reference Labs - Former Manager | Glassdoor

"Former Manager"

Former Employee - Mid Manager
Former Employee - Mid Manager

I worked at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work hours and decent medical and vision plan. good dental plan. Meet some nice people and very talented individuals to develop long-term networking and friendships - mostly the lab techs and screening techs that actually do the work.

Cons

POWER STRUGGLE GALORE!!! faves even amongst uppers with lower/mid-level managers..

some departments are very territorial. Uppers quick to blame others for their mistakes but gobble up praise. Little concern for safety, federal and state regulations with some department heads. Quick to recruit like-minded managers to gang up on other managers who point out blatantly illegal practices and try to help fix them as a team. would rather feign ignorance because its convenient/cheaper than doing something right.

little to no advancement opportunities - had one upper tell me to "create a new job to advance to" but "it's not happening by the way". discourage you from leaving though. had one upper tell one of my employees "jokingly" they would give them a bad reference so they don't leave. employee came to me so shocked and disparaged I had to promise them if an interviewer called I would not let them ever speak to that upper.

don't appreciate most hard working individuals or help managers show appreciation for their employees. uppers focus on key few favorites that do whatever they want instead. more focused on saving money anywhere and pushing potential hires on you just because they'll accept "less money".

some uppers very inexperienced, very manipulative, no email etiquette and not afraid to try and embarrass you in front of others in email exchange.

major HR violations with some upper managers. not afraid to throw around some of your department's issues to other department heads before telling you because they find it entertaining. some will directly make fun of your employees right in front of them.

Advice to Management

background check your uppers before hiring or promoting. ensure they have the proper degree and HR training and know-how of operations instead of those who can just save you the most money and trample on others

provide low/mid-level managers with the resources to give back to their staff. routinely search for rising talent amongst the bench-level workers.

train all managers on proper e-mail etiquette.

show loyalty to your staff. foster a community of TRUST. weed out those that do not practice basic good corporate values regardless of their rank.

Other Employee Reviews for Bio-Reference Labs

1. "Alright"

Pros

Its easy and the pay is better than fast food. The job is tedious I didn't need any experience, but had to type all night

Cons

It can get extremely boring and depending on who you work with the job can be hassle, management is poor and coworkers are extremely rude and favoritism is an issue.

Advice to Management

The company is headed in the right direction, but the work environment needs to have more of a professional feel in some departments.

2. "VERY unstable SUPERIORS!!!"

I have been working at Bio-Reference Labs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

GREAT HEALTH BENEFITS AT ALMOST NO COST!! FREE LAB WORK!

Cons

unstable superiors, at least in my department which is the only one i could give you my thoughts. Way too much favoritism, people bringing personal issues into work, everything is just oh so horrible. My "supervisor" quit and left the building cursing, our doctor has a meeting with us blaming the staff for the instability of the supervisor and WE were the reason she quit, the next day she was in the office has if nothing happened!! the director took NO action for her actions!! If you want to suffer from anxiety and depression i recommend you work for this company.

Advice to Management

QUIT !