Biogen - Good place to build skills, then move on | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Biogen

"Good place to build skills, then move on"

Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate IV in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Manufacturing Associate IV in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, very goal-oriented; no one cares how long you go for breaks, as long as you get the job done. Biogen-Idec is exemplary at picking talent at the operator level, I have worked with some very passionate and knowledgeable people whose work ethic is inspiring, and who have influenced me to become a better operator. BIogen-Idec is also a good place to start a biotech manufacturing career, due to great networking opportunities and adherence to cGMP's, which is critical to understand if you want to become a great contributor.

Cons

Unfortunately, Biogen-Idec is awful at picking talent in the management level; lower performers are constantly being promoted due to politicking and back-room dealings; most promotions announcements are met with shock and groans from the operators, even through there are very, very, very few exceptions. Management is very company-oriented and not employee-oriented; members of management are not judged by their superiors in knowledge and subordinate growth but simply bowing to their demands; and it seems that the supervisors most disliked by the operators are the ones getting promoted. Communication between night and day shifts is horrendous, with constant blame game playing and finger pointing when things go wrong.

Bonuses are so-so, pay is probably slightly below average compared to other companies I have worked.

Advice to Management

You must recognize talent at the operator level and promote them accordingly; it is safe to say that the best on-floor performers have the best work ethic and possess the greatest amount of technical knowledge, which is critical in hiring effective managers and supervisors.

Other Employee Reviews for Biogen

"Professional and established corporation"

Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in San Diego, CA

I worked at Biogen as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great structured company with many different teams and departments. Treats their employees well with stock options, benefits, company parties as well as many other perks. Strong oncology department with hard working people and good leadership.

Cons

Like many places, politics play a role in the type of projects that are available. Budgeting is determined by the higher ups and may not have the full input of the teams.

"Changing from Patient Services to a Call center environment"

Current Employee - Case Manager in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Case Manager in Durham, NC

I have been working at Biogen full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The benefits are good. There is free soda, fruit on certain days, and donuts and muffins on Friday.

Cons

Office politics, micro managing, and lateral moves within the same department. I titled my review with that title because we we have never been a call center, but there are changes that will be taking place to make us just that. New management brings about new changes, and not for the better

Advice to Management

Stop acting like you know the jobs of your subordinates, just because you made it into management. 90% of the Team Leads and Supervisors have no clue on how to do things that they used to do because they are so disconnected. Wearing titles is what they are good at, and what they are good for. Knowing how to help and resolve and issue doesn't take motivational interviewing, it takes a skill set in which they are out of touch with.