Bisk - Great For Entry Level. Nice Educational benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bisk

"Great For Entry Level. Nice Educational benefits"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time

Pros

Educational opportunities AndGreat For Building Experience

Cons

Pay Is Not Too Competitive. Good For Entry Level, And Learning.

Advice to Management

Perhaps The Company Is Being Run Too lean. Would Suggest To Beef Up Departments And More Competitive Pay

Other Employee Reviews for Bisk

1. "Great People/Great Career"

Current Employee - Education Specialist in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Education Specialist in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked in 2 different departments here and i have loved my time with Bisk. In the call center, everyone is so tight knit, i really felt like everyone on my team was my family. I have made some of the best friends i could ever ask for because i work for Bisk. The hours for my position now are 8-5 and everyone has saturday and sunday off... unless you need overtime, they sometimes do saturday shifts. Great benefits and eduation assistance program helps every employee be able to go back to school and earn their degree or certificate that you thought you couldn't afford. They pay for it all. i like the values and integrity of the company and everything it stands for. You literally can make a career out of this job and be extremely happy.

Cons

Hours in the call center were 10-7 (some might find this beneficial), management in the call center wasnt the greatest (or most experienced). If you're not a top producer, you are frowned upon. You feel as though you can't make suggestions because they won't be heard. Management sometimes makes you feel inferior or not good enough. If you don't keep your numbers up, you may be terminated.

Advice to Management

Promote people who actually have experience with management and not people who just have people they know in high places in the company, it's no fair to the people who work hard and deserve the position. Don't put people in management positions when they don't know anything about education, or better yet, haven't taken the time to learn nor care about learning what they are supposed to be managing.

"Great concept and potential, but fiefdoms hinder true progress"

Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Instructional Designer in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Bisk full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My department and department leadership is great. As is the opportunity to earn a degree without paying for it out of pocket. However, post degree, you must stay for the length of time it took to earn the degree. For example, an MBA is a 2-year program. So, after completing it, you have to stay with the company for two years after, or pay them back at a prorated amount. It's actually a good deal.

Cons

Fiefdoms! Too many people hold onto power in order to maintain their level of control and get what they want, instead of doing what's best for the company as a whole.

The average salary is low compared to the industry, and there's little opportunity for advancement. Even when promotions are offered, they rarely yield a significant pay increase.

Too many communication and process silos. Departments tend to find their own solutions to departmental communication and processes rather than there being a single corporate solution for sharing information, collaborating, and communicating across departments.

They still rely on a flash-based solution for their development tool. Microsoft, Apple, Google, and even Adobe have stepped away from Flash-based solutions, but not Bisk. Not to mention most departments are still forced to use SharePoint 2003 as a document hub versus more advanced solutions.

Bisk spends way too much time reacting to events and industry changes rather than being proactive and cutting edge.

They recognize the least amount of holidays per year than any other company I've worked for. Even if Christmas Eve falls on a Monday or Friday, you don't get it off. We mainly work with universities and colleges who are off during the holidays, so having Christmas Eve off may seem trivial, but it's a simple moral booster than they can easily implement.

Advice to Management

Be more proactive and utilize current solutions not aging ones. For example, instead of SharePoint 2003, use SharePoint 2013. Instead of using a Flash based solution and antiquated development tools and processes, embrace HTML 5 based solutions and development tools that will actually allow you to batch upload files, and easily save courses in a format conducive to mobile devices.