Black Duck Software - Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Black Duck Software

"Is more a 'business' then a 'tech company'."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at Black Duck Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Best thing about Black Duck: They are open to new ideas, and if you're willing to spearhead a project, they'll let you do it. They have new offices which are very nice, and in general most of the people are neutral-to-happy to be around (not a lot of people in bad moods.)

Cons

Overwork. A typical week at BDS is 50+ hours, and in some cases pushing 70 - and for that amount of time to be put in, you wouldn't expect sub-standard benefits and below market pay, but you'll find it. They're happy to overwork their employees if they can, but when said employees quit they'll replace them with 2-3 people. There's very little effort to retain talent, and it's very clear that they do not value the talent they have. There's a mentality that if you don't work from 6am to 6pm you're not working 'hard enough', and they keep minor office supplies under lock and key.

There's not a lot of trust. That, plus the hours and the lack of benefits (a sluggish vesting program, no matched 401k, no matched charitable giving, no swag, no free snacks/drinks, none of the Boston 'tech company' typical benefits) make it a better bet to look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Care about your employees, and put as much effort into retaining talent as you do acquiring it!

Other Employee Reviews for Black Duck Software

"Awesome Experience so far"

Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA
    Current Intern - Software Engineering Intern in Burlington, MA

I have been working at Black Duck Software as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome atmosphere, helpful and highly skilled coworkers to name a very few. The best aspect of my internship here so far has been that this is real hands on experience since they don't have a lot of interns and hence, us, the few (and the proud) get to work on real projects with full time employees that get released to public unlike most stereotypical software development internships where your projects never get to see the light of day. The company deals with open source software and has seen a meteoric rise in the past year and a half. The staff is super friendly and there's plenty of people of Europe and India which makes it a very diverse workplace. After work, we gather to watch the Euro Soccer Tournament. However, that's not to say that its all fun and no work because there is a lot of work to do and the amount of stuff I've learned so far has made me realize that college education is a just a way to get a foot in the door. Its a whole new learning experience then on. All in all, a very memorable experience where I have learned a lot and I mean a LOT.

Cons

None, really except that maybe the hourly rate that they pay interns, even though very competitive esp. with the generous overtime pay, could have been a tad bit more but then again maybe I'm being greedy.

Advice to Management

Keep Rocking!
    (Can you guys please repair the XBOX (read: red ring of death) in the game room? Thanks.)

"Successful teamwork!"

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

Pros

The company is growing at a stellar rate, due to the importance and significance of our offerings, the well-run nature of the company and our visionary (yet still practical) CEO. The management team keeps employees apprised of our current state and desired future growth, which is very promising! The Black Duck marketing department takes teamwork seriously and is a highly effective, highly collaborative group. Personnel specializing in social media, lead generation, direct marketing, products, programs, public relations and communications work together so well, and it’s a pleasure to be part of this dynamic, professional and FUN group!

Cons

As with any company growing at this rate, Black Duck is very successful and very busy - which is actually a good thing!
    Benefits are typical for a start-up and adequate.

Advice to Management

With so many intelligent, dedicated and interesting people at Black Duck, we should try to foster and create more inter-departmental activities.