Black Walnut Cafe - Satisfied | Glassdoor

"Satisfied"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sugar Land, TX

Pros

very flexible hours
guests are nice
weekdays are typically slow

Cons

management was not the best.
very busy on weekends

Advice to Management

Treat everyone fairly

Other Employee Reviews for Black Walnut Cafe

1. "Authoritarian"

Former Employee - Barista in London, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Barista in London, ON (Canada)

I worked at Black Walnut Cafe part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This cafe has almost everything that is loved in visiting and working at a cafe. Amazing food, coffee, etc... It was one of my favourite jobs before I began my career. The staff was fantastic, the customers were wonderful.

Cons

They were taken over by another owner in 2011. They proceeded to humiliate the original employees by firing them one by one, myself first on the list, in an embarrassing and insulting manner. The cafe had a large and consistent clientele, and many of them blacklisted the cafe in an effort to stand for the employees that they had come to know and support. Unfortunately, in my area of town there isn't anywhere else to go for a good cup of coffee and a sandwich, so slowly they trickled back in. I can't blame them, but people should know that the owner has absolutely no consideration for anybody, whether they be customer or employee. I have never been treated with such disrespect, especially as an adult.

Advice to Management

Nothing to offer.

2. "You get out what you put in!"

Former Employee - Cashier, Expo, Bartender, Barista in Allen, TX
    Former Employee - Cashier, Expo, Bartender, Barista in Allen, TX

I worked at Black Walnut Cafe part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I met great people at this job and had great teamwork with these people. The pay is good most of the time. If you take care of the guests, they'll take care of you! I learned a lot, especially through bartending. The managers, in my opinion, made me comfortable and were approachable, so it made my experience one to remember. I'm out of state in college now, but am hoping to continue being a seasonal employee during the summer and winter. Training is taken seriously, just as customer service is as well.

Cons

Not a huge fan of cashiers making tips for themselves, especially on weekends mornings. They make the most money out of everyone in the building. It's not fair to everyone else. I wish the tips were shared in some areas. Also, the turnover rate is high, but that's expected at restaurants. As a result of being short staffed, everyone's a little more stressed because of the extra hours needing to be picked up. Also, the prices are higher than most places, and service partners are taken hits for a lot of things we have no control over. Lastly, I felt overworked at times. Nonetheless, you get out what you put in!

Advice to Management

Continue to be good leaders yourselves because that is a huge factor when people are looking for an ideal place to work. Be respectable and approachable to all partners. It makes a world of a difference to enjoy your leaders at work.