BlackBerry - One I will always remember as my best working days | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

"One I will always remember as my best working days"

Former Employee - Service Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Former Employee - Service Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I worked at BlackBerry full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Innovative and able to take employee sugestins

Cons

Not able to share enough information internally

Advice to Management

Keep sharing information with the employees

Other Employee Reviews for BlackBerry

1. "Flexible Company but need more direction from the management"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible working hours, open working culture - able to voice your opinions even it might conflict with your boss

Cons

Generally lack of directions, operations execution without proper analysis, need proper KPI to drive employee performance

Advice to Management

Be more open to employee on company directions

"Run while you can"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at BlackBerry full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BlackBerry used to be a company that you could look forward working for as part of a career, as well as a place you could look forward to coming in every day. The industry is competitive, and if you're the techie type, there's plenty to be involved in that would help satiate your thirst for technological innovation - even if it's not the product (BlackBerry/ smartphone itself), you'll be working with other technologies and vendors that are cutting edge in their respective industries.

Cons

First things first - we've been under non-stop threat of layoffs for over two years now. There was a brief sojourn back in January 2013 when BB10 was finally released, and everyone thought things would be looking up. thiat respite lasted all of three months, now its back to the same old psychological stress of, 'will I be here next month/ is there any long term benefit to this project when my resources might be pulled from under me'.

Speaking of projects - you'll have plenty that start off, but it seems that few ever get finished. It's not unheard of to have relatively minor projects (with no tools/ systems to implement, or products to create) that can easily take 8-12 months to complete. And that's assuming you still have the Sponsor's attention through it all - regularly, a new shiny project will come along and your SMEs will get pulled to wok on the new shiny project. So as a PM, you're basically running with a ship that's leaking on all sides, and trying to complete your project with a clever mixture of spit, duct tape, and glue.

Speaking of culture - the people are great as individuals and are no doubt very intelligent people, but as far as work habits go, there is much to be desired. For reference, refer to the commitment (or lack thereof) to projects. Additionally, you can hold meetings with other individuals who ostensibly are based out of the same building as you, book a meeting room for that precious face-to-face communication, yet the vast majority of people will always dial in/ use Webex. The pretext is that they're busy and need to 'multi-task' on their desk PC.

By itself, this habit is something that you can deal with, but when it leads to missed approvals, deliverables, and commitments (despite repeated written (email) and verbal (meeting/ phone call) reminders, you know the culture is in need of a serious, serious shake up.

Advice to Management

Maybe start trimming the fat at the upper layers of the company, rather than the people who actually do the work? Too many layers of management. Your middle management is incapable of decision making, and always seems to need to refer to the next level up. I shouldnt have to go 3-4 levels up the org hierarchy to get agreement on basic project deliverables.

Also - in terms of cost optimization - Thorsten makes more in about one hour than the vast majority of employees make in a month. He could easily cut his salary in half, save the company $5 million/ year, and keep some valuable intellectual capital.

But the layoffs will continue, no matter how broken the organization's structure is. Alas, the stockholders must be appeased.