BlackBerry - Great place to work but mind the growing pains | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackBerry

"Great place to work but mind the growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

The single reason is the people there. When I first came in, I was amazed at how friendly and helpful everybody was and now that I've been here for six months, I'm still really amazed - this is somewhere in which everybody wants to share in the company's success! The products are very exciting and there is still enough of the start up mentality here that you can make a difference. RIM will probably double in size over the next year, so there are still a lot of opportunities for advancement or to carve out a career for yourself that fits your personality and skills.

Cons

There are some senior managers that are too entrenched in their positions and have grown somewhat bitter and cynical (if that seems possible). For these people, there needs to be some kind of re-energization process to be put into account.

The place is growing very, very quickly. It is difficult to find a parking space when you come in and chances are your manager won't be able to find a desk for you.

Finally, there is a lot to learn, I spent the first month there wondering if it was all a test (setting up my laptop, BlackBerry, system access, etc.) to see how well I could cope - this is very intimidating for many new employees.

Advice to Management

Set your focus on product quality and completeness. The need to get new products to the market is understood but we have to make sure that everything is done right.

Ignore the market and ignore Apple. We have a great product and the only thing holding us back is quality when we release.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackBerry

1. "Accept a position if one is offered."

Former Employee - BlackBerry Systems Support, Associate in Halifax, NS (Canada)
    Former Employee - BlackBerry Systems Support, Associate in Halifax, NS (Canada)

Pros

Solid pay compared to other companies. Generally a great group of people to work with. Always room for advancement and education. Very comfortable and ergonomic chairs/desks.

Cons

Could have more role diversity. You get tired of taking the same type of call day after day. But with room for advancement, you won't be taking the same call for more than 2 years.

Advice to Management

Great company to work for. The big screen TVs and Nintendo Wii's are a great idea, but with such strict breaks they aren't very useful!

"Great company, but fast growth posing a challenge"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Waterloo, ON (Canada)

Pros

Growth company - hiring constantly so you can get a level of seniority very quickly.
    Relatively good pay/bonuses, frequent raises.
    Flexible working hours.
    Very geek oriented culture, no dress code to speak of. VPs wear jeans and polo shirt. Other employees seem to have bounced into their cubicle from a mosh pit.
    Excellent workstations, frequent computer hardware upgrades. They will provide you with the best tools for the job, and aren't cheap like other smaller or cash-poor companies.
    Great opportunities to interact with smart individuals. From what I can tell, the org structure is fairly meritocratic and generally speaking the best people move up.

Cons

Growth company - somewhat disorganized internal processes, poor cooperation between groups. The various departments are reminiscent of feudal kingdoms with managers fighting amongst themselves.
    No stock options given to employees as far as I am aware.
    Legal department has been granted ultimate powers after the NTP settlement and this results in a certain air of paranoia which I think could hamper innovation.
    Avenues for career growth seem inadequate. Despite continual external hiring the internal job board listings are anemic. Management has not sent any of the developers in my group on any kind of training courses.
    Office space is done in a dismal purple and facilities are pretty limited.

Advice to Management

I would promote processes that would allow the dissemination of information more easily throughout the company. This is somewhat ironic given the product we create.