BlackRock - I gave BlackRock a chance, but it remains dreadful | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

"I gave BlackRock a chance, but it remains dreadful"

Current Employee - Vice President in London, England (UK)
Current Employee - Vice President in London, England (UK)

Pros

BlackRock is the biggest fund manager on the block, so it has the potential for great scale and domination of the asset management business. There are a couple of good managers.

Cons

Working in the business may be better, but London IT is a sorry department to be in. Decent senior managers are like needles in a haystack. Every time we have a senior manager addressing us we hear how great everything is but it is normally a case of The Emperor's New Clothes. Central control from New York is a death grip. Autonomy is not tolerated. Experienced people are given trivial jobs to do to "prove themselves". Sharing of information between teams is poor. Documentation is inadequate - the "Aladdin Way" has to be prised from key developer's heads.

Advice to Management

Let talented people make their own decisions. Learn how to plan ahead. If you are moving 2500 staff to a new building and changing operating system at the same time you need to allocate sufficient resources and time to it, and communicate things clearly. Having an emergency meeting to communicate what is happening AFTER people have started moving shows you are ill prepared.

Larry, you may be a great business leader, but IT is seriously disfunctional - we waste a lot of time building exactly what we are told by our senior management only to be told it is not needed anymore. IT decision making occurs after everything is built. People like to say No as they feel that shows that are protecting Aladdin. They are wasting money and time - they should set be capable of setting the direction up front.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. "Very Positive"

Current Employee - Vice President
    Current Employee - Vice President

Pros

Working with smartestr people in the industry

Cons

IT is behind other firms

Advice to Management

Keep up thje good work

2. "Having a great time working for BlackRock."

Current Employee - Contingent Worker
    Current Employee - Contingent Worker

Pros

Friendly environment to work in.

Cons

Lack of communication between groups in IT.

Advice to Management

Communicate better!!!!!!!