BlackRock - Please hire more people before noone is left. BlackRock is a rich and growing company but force people to work 24x7. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

"Please hire more people before noone is left. BlackRock is a rich and growing company but force people to work 24x7."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

Pros

My team is very bright and dedicated. But we are severely understaffed and doing the work of teams twice the size. I do like and respect my colleagues in all of the IT teams, but sadly I can not say the same for senior leadership. BlackRock is a global company and a respected name which is good for longer term career.

Cons

Bullying substitutes real leadership, and the average employee is not respected by senior management. We are not treated as important contributors who can improve things if given the opportunity, but as zombies who must get the work done at all costs. There are many talented individuals here wasting their expertise on mindless activities. I dont understand why a rich company like BlackRock will not invest in technology to streamline work. We are told that technology is the backbone of the company but it is not evident in how IT prodessionals are treated. Morale unfortunately is very low. It is expected that everyone work many days straight in the office with no time off and late nights, weekends and holidays are demanded. There is pressure to take no personal or sick time off and it is frowned upon to even eat lunch away from your desk. There is no respect for having a life or responsibilities outside of work. I wish I could find more satisfaction because the company is strong and growing. But the personal cost is too great for me to continue much longer.

Advice to Management

We are not stupid. We know that there are many people making large money at BlackRock. Please redirect some of that money to hiring enough people.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. "Overall, a good place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Smart people
    People are friendly and approachable
    Incredible opportunities to learn
    My 1st line manager was excellent.
    Team work and collaboration are good
    Management seems interested in hearing about employee concerns, and in some cases, they act on them

Cons

BlackRock does everything as cheaply as possible
    Development environments need much improvement
    Employee turnover is very high

Advice to Management

Innovate more.
    Enable people to move across departments more freely.
    More management by walking around from the senior management team.

"Disappointing; Holistic exposure to the invest mgt. industry but limited career opps, incompetent mgt and low comp"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

Pros

- Well rounded exposure to the investment mgt industry including various asset classes, investment products, diverse investor universe and varying investment strategies/objectives
    - Decent knowledge sharing across different investment teams
    - Flat organization with numerous formal and informal networks and accesible senior management
    - Good work/life balance

Cons

Where to begin!

- Overall firm strategy is aligned to be the biggest...not the most competent or profitable
    - Varying degrees of expertise and competence across different investment teams in fixed income, equity and alternatives
    - Lack of integration between various teams/offices thereby leading to a very inconsistent team culture
    - Bottom of the industry compensation and terrible benefits package
    - Lack of operational policies, upward mobility and career opportunities