BlackRock - Muddled Strategy, poor communication, but great people | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

"Muddled Strategy, poor communication, but great people"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your co-workers are awesome, willing to help and you can learn alot and move throughout the company. Great bonuses.

Cons

Seems as though focus is constantly being shifted and there's poor communication between upper management and employees. If we're not aware of what the overall goals are how can we work to that end?

Advice to Management

Engage your employees more, increase communication and make the promotion process more transparent. Currently the best way to move up is to just switch departments, you're losing that knowledge/experience.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. "black rock was had a great culture"

Pros

I can’t say enough about the unique business structure. Working on hourly projects suck; you have no flexibility on the amount of time you spend on a task and are always have to worry about billing enough hours to make it profitable, not enough hours to get the job done right. Consequently, you end up having to work those long hours just to make you revenue goals. Contingent projects give you the freedom to do the best job in how every many hours it takes you to do it. I never have to worry if I’m spending too little or too much time on a task.
    Overall, I don’t know of any other company in our space or in another industry that offers such flexibility, generous incentive bonuses, and unique business structure.

Cons

Not all managers are created equally. There is little oversight on how managers implement stuff or the incentive bonuses, so you can end up with a bad manager and everything I said above would not apply.

Advice to Management

other teams that can't utilize stuff at all because of their manager. So, I would provide a survey to team members to rate their manager's adherance to stuff and provide an incentive to mangers rated high and/or help for managers who are rated low.

"Current Director"

Current Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Director in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well respected firm with an executive committee focused on success and delivering for their clients. Smart, hard working people and great name to have on your resume.

Cons

The organization runs lean and so expect to work a lot of hours. Interestingly, there is still constant reorganization, leaving employees fearing for for their jobs, which adds unnecessary stress, leading to poor productivity and morale. Poor downward communication and quite a few disingenuous managers who look after their favorites is another stress factor. The growth from acquisitions have left the firm with no culture to speak of.

Advice to Management

If only you care about your employees half as much as you care about your bottom line...

Keep your employees motivated, not afraid.