BlackRock - Great place to work, diverse and cosmopolitan culture, smart people, collegiate, non-hierarchical. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

"Great place to work, diverse and cosmopolitan culture, smart people, collegiate, non-hierarchical."

Current Employee - Vice President
Current Employee - Vice President

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been working at BlackRock for 1.5 years. I've really enjoyed my time with the company. It's non-hierarchical compared to every other firm I have ever worked at and you have access to the most senior people in the firm. My colleagues are very collaborative and good to be around. It's perhaps the most complex and innovative of the largest global asset management companies so you are always learning new things. Given the size I was expecting a more bureaucratic organisation but have been pleasantly surprised - it's very entrepreneurial and if you gave good ideas people want to hear about them. The firm has only been in existence for 25 years so it's free from the stuffiness of older firms where there is an unwillingness to try new things due to an established way of doing things over the years. The firm has been through numerous mergers and aqcuisitions which in itself has created a very open-minded culture overall. It has such a diverse product range across all asset classes and investment styles that there is a product for every change in the market cycle - i.e. not predominatly Fixed Income like PIMCO or ETF/passive like Vanguard.

Cons

It's a global company but the fact that it is US headquartered is still very evident.

Advice to Management

Continue to push further to develop a more meritocratic environment.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. "Portfolio Analytics"

Former Employee - Associate, Portfolio Analytics in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Associate, Portfolio Analytics in London, England (UK)

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learn how the operation of a multiframe system works and at the same time understand the analytics being calculated. It does provide young employees with a chance to contribute to the development of the operations.

Cons

High employee turnover means the average length spent in the firm is around 2 years within Blackrock solutions for analysts. It also means you will have no life and be in the back-office being underpaid for the operational risk of your work.

Advice to Management

Focus on supporting the learning and development process of young analysts.

2. "Excellent exposure but poor Middle Management"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Growing organization
    Excellent global exposure
    Work-life balance

Cons

Very poor middle management; at least in Gurgaon location
    Not fair compensation hike
    Lots of office politics

Advice to Management

Rather than focusing so much on managers and team leads try delegating responsibility to person who is actually working. Don't create layers in communication