BlackRock - Lots of learning, hard working place, people are nice | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

"Lots of learning, hard working place, people are nice"

Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand name, lots of learning, nice people

Cons

Sometimes there are silos, feels too big at times

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. "Great work culture"

Former Employee - Auditor in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Auditor in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Forward thinking individuals and management. Excellent training opportunities and ways to enhance your knowledge of the various financial markets and instruments.

Cons

Too many layers of management, not enough transparency. Performance evaluations were bureaucratic and almost one sided, even department goals reflected on your overall progress whether or not they were in your control.

"Worst corporate experience in my 13+ years within finance"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in New York, NY

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Other than benefits, there really isn't anything positive I can say about this company.

Cons

Lack of any real core management. Extremely political organization. Senior Managers act like high school students who gossip all day and speak badly about their staff. They often praise the slackers and chastise the hard workers which makes absolutely no sense. If you do not small talk with them you are interpreted as not being a team player. They have a "clique" formed and it's very clear they have favorites. Nothing is EVER kept confidential. Once you bring an issue to your dept HR rep they in turn call your manager immediately and gossip about the situation rather than actually representing HUMAN RESOURCES. They buddy up with your managers and are chummy to one another so you employees are either left to deal with the situation themselves by “leaving” or you are told to “develop a backbone”.

I've heard things spoken about other employees within the dept that one should NEVER hear. But again, lack of confidentiality and real management. Since I've been here I've yet to meet someone that is truly happy or satisfied. Moral is extremely low as staff is overworked to the bones. I refuse for any job to make me feel like I should brown nose in order to get recognized. I'm a hard worker and a team player who efficiently works.

This organization is completely unprofessional. The brand holds more weight than needed. Technology is not up to par due to the constant growth but I’d deal with slow technology than idiotic managers who seem to have no real experience.

Advice to Management

Take "how to be an efficient manager" courses.
    Learn how to be a leader and lead by example.
    Pay attention to your model employees and stop praising the slackers.