BlackRock - Great culture overall. Development experience could be better. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

"Great culture overall. Development experience could be better."

Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Web Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BlackRock part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are generally very nice. The office has an amazing view of the greater Seattle area. Not much micromanaging.

Cons

The development experience is pretty terrible. Locked into a Windows stack. Admin privileges are very difficult to get and use as data is very confidential.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. "Good work/life balance but culture is stale and paper pushing runs rampant"

Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good name on resume
    Great work life balance (8-5 easily)
    Nice coworkers, smart people
    If your main concern is collecting a paycheck and coasting, you've hit the jackpot
    Decent pay to start (significant pay increases seem to be rare/impossible once you're there
    Definitely not a terrible place to work

Cons

Depends greatly on your division but there is a lot of dissatisfaction at the company now (and has been for years). Not meritocratic - at least at the VP/Associate level. I see teams that are overstaffed with people who seem to spend most of their time on busy work or twiddling their thumbs in an effort to look like they're adding value. My biggest personal complaint at the Associate level is that I haven't had opportunities to challenge myself or expand my professional skills in a meaningful way. Career growth is definitely possible but it's all about networking. Clearly, networking should be a portion of a good career growth strategy, but it shouldn't be the only thing (in my opinion). If you're looking for an opportunity to develop professional skills and feel like you're making a real contribution (not just pushing paper), I'd be quite careful in accepting a job in the SF office. The company claims loudly to encourage internal promotion but it's simply not the case. Open positions are overwhelmingly filled by overqualified candidates, often from the outside. The result is a workplace where employees in many divisions aren't provided with any real career opportunity besides using the BLK name to find a better gig.

Advice to Management

Encourage internal promotion (for real). Get to know something about what's going on beneath you. You should know what your direct reports (and their teams) are actually doing on a day-to-day basis. Many don't.

2. "Great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, DE

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open cubicle, benefits, friendly co-workers,

Cons

no flex time, micro-management, high turnover in operation, lack of leadership,