BlackRock - It was good while it lasted... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BlackRock

"It was good while it lasted..."

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at BlackRock full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated people, great compensation and good fiduciary values.

Cons

Culture has eroded from collaborative to an 'every man for himself' approach. This has dampened innovation and risk taking to the point that I believe they will have trouble continuing to grow the business.

Advice to Management

You are wasting a lot of your talent. Stop focusing so much on the old boys club and recognize the diverse talent that exists throughout the firm. Dial down the emphasis on face time.

Other Employee Reviews for BlackRock

1. "Great place to start my career"

Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I worked at BlackRock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I joined BlackRock right out of college and found it was an ideal place to start my career. The CEO and management team were highly respected which has profound affects on the culture from the top down. While it was not quite as relaxed as the San Francisco office, I found solid work life balance.

Cons

BlackRock shares many of the same issues that all businesses of its size face - some slow decision making or lack of oversight.

Advice to Management

I would have appreciated more opportunities to network and meet others within the company. I also would have liked more mentorship outside of my direct boss and group.

"Toxic culture... stay far, far away."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BlackRock as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation, convenient location. I'm sorry that nothing else positive comes to mind but I have to write a twenty word minimum.

Cons

BlackRock is constantly hiring because no one with marketable skills stays longer than a year or two. The culture is completely toxic. BlackRock has grown through mergers much too fast without paying any attention to culture and positive assimilation of acquired populations, so the factional infighting and blame-shifting is the worst I have ever seen. This place is just one giant back-stabbing, mud-slinging, food fight all the time. Stay far, far away if you are a creative, innovative, results-oriented person who likes to get things done. Deeply ingrown old-timers here make careers out of being an obstacle to block change to protect their own jobs - and it works.

Advice to Management

It's time to make some painful decisions about finishing functional consolidation and eliminating dysfunctional legacy populations that are working against the organization's goals.