Blackbaud - Challenging and rewarding work | Glassdoor

"Challenging and rewarding work"

Current Employee - Finance in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Blackbaud's customers are changing the world. The company has transitioned to the cloud (SaaS) which is a dynamic, fast paced, and exciting industry. Headquartered in Charleston, SC which is a top rated city to live and the new facilities are top notch. Employees are highly collaborative and overall a great group of people to work with. Finance is a large organization and has become a promote from within culture which has offered upward mobility and career opportunity for many. Solid benefits and generous PTO compared to most companies. Overall very good work life balance. The most rewarding job I've had in my career. Would highly recommend to others.

Cons

An ever changing and dynamic environment isn't for everyone. Necessary that you can adapt to shifting priorities and objectives. Fairly broad and complex for a mid-size company. Matrixed organizational structure requires strong collaboration and clear objectives cross-company. Not a born in the cloud SaaS company which comes with legacy challenges to work through.

Advice to Management

Stay the course and continue to incorporate feedback from both employees and customers with a focus on the long-term.

Blackbaud2019-09-17

"Good company to work for as a software engineer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than a year

Pros

I've been working here for a while as a software engineer and have really enjoyed it so far. Very smart people work here Modern Microsoft tech stack Work life balance — cannot stress this enough WFH as needed Ping pong tables PTO is decent (4 weeks starting out) Fresh fruit a couple times a week Good coffee machines Good facility to work in Good bathrooms Bagels on Tuesdays

Cons

401K match isn't great (up to 3% of your salary). I feel this should be a lot more, at least 5%. Healthcare is expensive (regardless of the option that you choose) Annual raises are nothing exceptional Education reimbursement isn't very good (I think up to 3K a year)

Advice to Management

Increase the 401K contribution Increase the PTO Increase the education/certification reimbursement amounts

Blackbaud2019-10-02

"Proceed with extreme caution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I have been working at Blackbaud full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

PROs: It's certainly nice to have the traditional benefits of an older company along with the shinier new benefits befitting of a tech company: -401(k) match up to 6%, vests after 3 years with the company -3 weeks PTO, 5 weeks after you've been with them for 5 years -absolutely fabulous co-workers -fairly secure job (there are typically annual layoffs, however you might be able to transition to a new team or get re-hired later) -gym, cold brew and kombucha in the old CHS office for support, RDO, finance, success (albeit you have 80's era grey cubicles) -cold brew, la croix, beautiful new CHS office for sales, leadership, HR, devops (modern, open layout with designated quiet areas and call booths) Your clients are in the non-profit sector (religious, higher education, museums, healthcare, cause & cure, etc) so you can certainly see value in what you're doing.

Cons

I wasn't going to write this but seeing the rash of forced reviews, I don't think that readers are getting an honest picture of what's really going on which is what this site is supposed to be all about. I also got upset reading one review where they thought the "disgruntled people on Glassdoor didn't work hard enough or didn't realize how good they had it." That's absolute bull to be quite frank. Frustration permeates across teams and tenure. People who have been here 10+ years are just as shocked and hurt by the current environment as new hires. Employees across the board work really hard but eventually having to give 110% to only get 75% of the way is exhausting and you're tired of having to fight to make things bearable so you get jaded but what are you going to do because this is Charleston and there are only so many employers? A larger city or cheaper cost of living and you would have been gone way sooner. NOTICE THE MAY TIMESTAMP ON THE MOST RECENT POSITIVE REVIEWS!!! Also notice the upper management and even executive level titles associated with the reviews. These came after leadership explicitly told employees that Glassdoor rankings were low and asked that we write positive reviews. This is a classic example of Blackbaud trying to create a PR spin and sweep things under the rug rather than owning up and genuinely better themselves. I would refer to "Beneath the shiny exterior" from May 11, 2019 and "Headed in the wrong direction" from May 10, 2019 as accurate examples of the company's trend over the past 2 years. So the cons: (1) Pay is way below market value: It's been leadership's 2 year strategy to create abnormally painful changes in a purposefully abrupt manner. These lead to large exoduses of top performers across all departments causing an expensive brain drain – support, engineering, success, product management, sales, professional services. That does open room up for growth for some (which some reviews mention). But what those reviews don't mention is this allows Blackbaud to pay those incoming persons way less (like 10-40k less) than exiting persons. What does that do? It puts you at a lower negotiating point for the rest of your tenure which in turn lowers the overall average salary of the position which just perpetuates the whole cycle. (2) Annual layoffs: yes, layoffs are an expected part of business. But they're not meant to be the "Easy" button yet that's exactly how it's treated here. Large layoffs seem to come out of nowhere. Do it once; okay I get it. But do it 4 times in 6 years AND try to mask it internally? (about 120 in 2019, about 55 in 2017, about 150 in 2015, about 150 in 2013). Nearly 7% each time. Now either leadership is that blind to repeatedly making poor decisions or purposefully makes decisions knowing they'll have to lay people off but hide the truth through deflection and lies. (3) Toxic upper management and executive leadership: your teammates are great. Your direct managers are great. But this is a good ole boys club and only promotes "Yes" men/women up. So good luck changing things because if you want change, it's unlikely you're in with the right people to get promoted. Good leaders have gotten pushed out literally just because they had a valid disagreement with a member of the ELT, a member who repeatedly has their bad decisions rewarded with MORE responsibility. (4) All marketing, no walk: we talk a great talk about doing good and bringing heart, but those don't align with the actual decisions that get made which are about becoming a "billion dollar company." (5) Legacy products that aren't being updated fast enough to stop customers from hemorrhaging. Salesforce and other startups are eating us up but Blackbaud continues to yell "We're the best, we're the biggest, it's impossible for us to fail." This is bad for sales trying to sell a dream that is years away from being realized, bad for engineers who are pressured to build things at a pace that promotes bugs over quality, bad for support who bears the brunt of having to hear customer frustrations about having paid for a product that can do X in the old database view but not in the shiny new webview they were sold, bad for product managers who are strapped by understaffed teams, bad for professional services who are so backed up that they have to refund clients for months of delayed work, bad for customer success who can't give the customers any good news. Even with all this, leadership won't be worried until their credit card is declined at Halls. This place is toxic and I'd run far, far away until the executive leadership changes.

Advice to Management

Hire for talent and culture fit, don't just hire as cheaply as you can. If the same concern is being brought up again and again, ask yourself "How can we address it?" not "Should we address it?" All Hands meetings need to be more transparent; they feel too market-y and forced currently and are more appropriate for an external visiting client than for internal teammembers.

Blackbaud2019-06-07

Discover more reviews about Blackbaud.